Do Star Wars Saga skill rules make d20 better?

Do SW Saga skill rules make d20 better?

• Strongly agree (Yes, it's better)

Votes: 76 30.9%
  • Agree

Votes: 61 24.8%
  • Neutral / It depends

Votes: 38 15.4%
  • Disagree

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Strongly disagree (No, it's worse)

Votes: 28 11.4%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • I never play d20, ever!

Votes: 2 0.8%

Mokona

First Post
Greg K said:
The SAGA [sic] and Iron Heroes...treatment of skills are actually deal breakers for playing either game with both groups with whom I game.... I detest what SAGA [sic] does with skills (the removal of skill points, half level bonus, and the combining of skills).
I'm surprised by the strength of this opposition to the simple and clean skill rules for the Star Wars Saga Edition rolelpaying game. More comments (and opposition) here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3685433&posted=1#post3685433

Do you think, on balance, Saga rules for skills and skill bonuses make d20 better? Or at least more fun?

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I think the clean skill system works. I think it's too expensive to become proficient in something you don't start with though. Doubtless it takes some getting used to as well.

Stalker0

Legend
Mokona said:
I'm surprised by the strength of this opposition to the simple and clean skill rules for the Star Wars Saga Edition rolelpaying game.

Do you think, on balance, Saga rules for skills and skill bonuses make d20 better? Or at least more fun?

One post is a strong opposition now?

I think on the whole the way SAGA does skills is a great way to go....for Star Wars. DND is a different beast, Star Wars is a VERY LOW MAGIC dnd setting.

Bagpuss

Legend
That and currently it doesn't seem that balanced. If it's opposed by other skills then it seems pretty balanced, but when used against attack values or defenses then you can almost but certain of success at low levels (due to the +10 bonus with Training and Focus), but find success tough at high levels (due to those increasing by level, but skills only increasing by 1/2 level). So it seems against equal opponents you actually get worse as you increase in level.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Mokona said:
I'm surprised by the strength of this opposition to the simple and clean skill rules for the Star Wars Saga Edition rolelpaying game.

That opposition is most likely a standard "new stuff scary for old brains" thing; I wouldn't be suprised if those same groups took a while to switch from 3e to 3.5. To be fair, though, it's also possible that they simply like the granularity of the old skill system(though in reality, the old system merely *looks* granular -- you're almost always best served by picking a few key skills and maxing them, a process which is eeriely similar to just picking your skills in SAGA)

I think the Saga rules do make things better by allowing all the players to at least participate in a skill-based scenario, even if the high-bonus people will have the spotlight. It's not the most dramatic change ever, and it might not even be as dramatic as turning Initiative and Endurance into skills, but it's a good change, IMO.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think it is a great system for several reasons:

1) high level heroes have some degree of competence at a lot of things

2) it is possible to have low level 'experts' (e.g. 1st level sages who are trained in a skill and have skill focus getting, say +12 when ability is included)

3) The elimination of various stacking synergy bonuses etc. prevents skill checks wandering sky-high, the 're-roll once' or 'auto take 10' effects are a better way of making good results more likely for races with a bonus/people with appropriate feats

4) Creating high level NPCs and PCs is trivial from a skills perspective

(The only change I've made to the baseline SWSE skills is to pull in an ideal from Conan OGL... bonus trained skills from high Int can be chosen from the whole range of skills and not just class skills. Makes certain more rounded character choices possible for smart heroes)

Cheers

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Generally, I really like it, though I think it is a bit too on/off-ish for D&D (I'm talking about D&D, mind you - for Star Wars, it is a perfect fit). For D&D I like this house rule, which is very similar, but more D&D-ish.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
from what I've seen of it, I dislike it. 1st because I like dabbler characters, and 2nd because I like characters with cross class skills. I'll have a more clear feeling for it when I've read the whole skill section, but for the moment I'm unimpressed by the concept.

Cassander

First Post
Strongly oppose.

I don't like getting rid of skill points... it takes a lot of the granularity and customization away from skills for those who want it. And if you don't want it, then just take max ranks, no problem. I don't understand systems that try to "simplify" d20 skills, since in core d20 you can do the max rank thing and have all your skills instantly. No time is saved.

If I used a system that had this sort of mechanic, I'd want to house rule it so that skill points can be assigned.

Remove ads