Sherlock Holmes

Vander

First Post
I am going to try playing a "Sherlock Holmes" type character in an upcoming 3E campaign. My first inclination is to make him a Human, Bard (prolly) for the music and knowledge. Use rapier (Holmes was a good fencer). Take many knowledge skills. Haven't decided yet what Feats to aim for. Any other ideas? Stats? Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
Alertness feat and a high wisdom. Holmes was more about noticing things that others missed. Bard class is good, but I think rogue just because of the extra skill points. Maybe multi between the two.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Here's a possible start:

Holmes, male human Brd1/Rog1: CR 2; ECL 2; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 2d6+2; hp 9; Init +2; Spd 30 ft; AC 16 (+4 chain shirt, +2 Dex); Melee mw rapier +2 (1d6+1/crit 18-20); SA sneak attack, spells; SQ bardic knowledge, bardic music; AL N; SV Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +6; Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 11.
Skills and Feats: Decipher Script +8, Listen +11, Search +8, Spot +11, ?; Alertness, ?.
SA–Sneak Attack (Ex): Holmes deals +1d6 damage against an opponent with a discernable anatomy who is denied a Dex bonus or is flanked.
Bard Spells Known: ?
Equipment: mw rapier, chain shirt.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Equipment: mw rapier, chain shirt.

Don't forget the Lens of Detection and the Masterwork Violin.

And he's really not much use until 6th level, when he can take Leadership and get a Watson Cohort :)

-Hyp.

Fist

First Post
I hear there will be a "detective" type prc in Masters of the Wild.

Probably having some sort of tie to the ranger. Otherwise, a bard with the track feat would fit very well (1st level in rogue would be ideal for the skill points though).

Vander

First Post
Fist said:
I hear there will be a "detective" type prc in Masters of the Wild.

Probably having some sort of tie to the ranger. Otherwise, a bard with the track feat would fit very well (1st level in rogue would be ideal for the skill points though).

1 Rogue/1 Ranger/ then as Bard for Knowledge Skills? That sound about right? Any release date on the Masters of the Wild?

Victim

First Post
I know someone who thought about doing this. We agreed to trade off the rogue's combat powers (sneak attack, most especially) for lotsof extra skill points. He planned to take the FR feat Education (all knowledge skills are class skills, +1 bonus to 2 knowledge skills, regional, first level only) and have high Int and Wis. I think we worked out that he'd get 12 skill points per level and skill focus feats at every uncanny dodge level instead of sneak attack, uncanny dodge, and maybe evasion.

Cohen

First Post
Have you looked at the Vigilante in Song & Silence. Perhaps not quite the Sherlock Holmes style, but still some useful abilities. (ie: "Search for clues").

Angelsboi

First Post
by your logic then, he should be an Expert NPC Class.

Yes Rogues get:
6d HD, 8 +int mod in skills and their class stuff

Yes Bards get:
6d HD, 4 +int mod in skills and their class stuff

But Experts get:
6d HD, 6 +int mod in skills and the ability to pick TEN skills as class skill. So take: Spot, Listen, Bluff, Sense Motive, Hide, Move Silently, Perform, Intimidation, Gather Information and Decipher Script and with yuor 1st level feat, take Education, which, grants all knowledge skills are class skills, +1 bonus to 2 knowledge skills.

Thats kick ass!!

Arabesu

What about aristocrat?

I believe Holmes was descended from country squires who own a bit a land if I recall... this could be justification for aristocrat I suppose. I must admit I don't recall much about Holmes' upbringing per say, but if your character was a member of the aristocracy then the npc aristocrat class would be excellent.

Aristocrats get numerous knowledge skills as class skills as well as spot, listen, gather information, diplomacy, sense motive and speak language. Also proficient with armor and weapons. I'd combine this class with rogue.

Remove ads