giving the fighter some options - my house rule

Stalker0

Legend
The Man at Arms in Iron Heroes had an awesome idea to increase a fighter's versatility.

They get wild card feats. 1/day at any time they can fill that slot with a feat they meet the prereqs for. They now have that feat for the rest of the day. At higher levels, they got a few more feat slots. Its a great way to increase your options.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Stalker0 said:
The Man at Arms in Iron Heroes had an awesome idea to increase a fighter's versatility.

They get wild card feats. 1/day at any time they can fill that slot with a feat they meet the prereqs for. They now have that feat for the rest of the day. At higher levels, they got a few more feat slots. Its a great way to increase your options.
I liked that idea, but the Man at Arms class seems lacking in play.
I think the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level fighter feats should be wild card feats. Though, Iron Heroes has better range of feat selection to make this more useful. (such as selecting Elusive Target 1 and 3 to get Evasion, and trying to avoid the dragon's breath ;) )

As for D&D, besides using Book of Nine Swords, I'd make the fighter's feats as I mentioned above.

GlassJaw

Hero
Aust Diamondew said:
Why would any one take trapsense +1 in place of a feat?

No one. It's just there for "completeness".

Thinking about this list some more, I'd probably remove trapfinding and keep that the rogue's domain.

Herzog

Adventurer
Interesting.

I actually did the opposite in one of my campaigns:

I dropped the fighter as a class, and allowed 'warrior' classes (barbarian, ranger) to take a fighter bonus feat instead of a class ability when levelling (maximum 1 swapped ability per level)

That way, you don't need to check each class ability to find out whether it's too powerfull as a feat (and nerf it) and still have the versatility of the fighter.

Herzog

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases