Custom Monsters and Races: Chris Perkins says yes you can!

kennew142

First Post
Another ray of hope. As a GM, I need to be able to create monsters of my own. We could in 3e, but I always found the system to be unwieldy and overly complicated. I am hoping for the ability to customize monsters on the fly, like I did in earlier editions.

I have to say that I have begun to do this in 3e as well. Once I learned to ignore the system and just go with my gut, it has worked out pretty well.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
As long as it is less stress-inducing then creating monsters for WoD I am happy. That is the one problem with leveless games, so hard to tell sometimes if your monsters are on good footing facing PCs ><

Lizard

Explorer
Sounds promising. I just hope they don't mean "You can just make stuff up", but do have guidelines and some kind of system. One major problem w/3x was that while the levels of monsters were well defined, things like "what kind of SLAs do they have?" and "What kind of Special Abilities/Special Attacks do they have" were completely handwaved.

vagabundo

Adventurer
kennew142 said:
Another ray of hope. As a GM, I need to be able to create monsters of my own. We could in 3e, but I always found the system to be unwieldy and overly complicated. I am hoping for the ability to customize monsters on the fly, like I did in earlier editions.

I have to say that I have begun to do this in 3e as well. Once I learned to ignore the system and just go with my gut, it has worked out pretty well.

It took me a long time to do this, go with my guts and fudge things.

3e just seemed to be such a complete system that I felt I should be able to run it in a complete way. Doing that it actually took away from my story. I could juggle all the things I wanted to.

I started ignore finicky little things like armour arcane failure, some stacking rules, SR, .... Just to get the game moving.

I'm happy with this news.

kennew142

First Post
vagabundo said:
It took me a long time to do this, go with my guts and fudge things.

3e just seemed to be such a complete system that I felt I should be able to run it in a complete way. Doing that it actually took away from my story. I could juggle all the things I wanted to.

I started ignore finicky little things like armour arcane failure, some stacking rules, SR, .... Just to get the game moving.

I'm happy with this news.

This was my personal GM's journey as well. I didn't feel comfortable enough with the system to ignore parts of it until it was too late. I had already become disillusioned with the edition.

Scribble

First Post
TerraDave said:
In one of those little video clips, Chris perkins says that they will give DMs the tools to make new races and monsters, and that it will be easier (of course).

One of the things that first made me really like 3e was that it seemed like making new monsters and races and classes "SHOULD" have been easy, logical and consistant... But then it wasn't because the actual formulas and math they used seemed to be guarded like the holy grail...

The advice was look at the classes and stuff that exist and figure it out. You could look at the rules, and notcie that a pattern was there... but unless you were good at reverse engineering, a lot of the patterns just didn't "pop..."

Maybe they thought it would cause people to learn the rules better and ultimately put out better stuff since you had to work to understand it? But I think the opposite was true... without real guidance, you never had any idea whether something was on the right track or not until it was too late...

4e, seems to be doing something I REALLY hoped it would... Making the systems and math a little more transparent and talked about. In my opinion at least, this will allow for DMs like me (who like to finagle with stuff) and 3rd party companies supporting the game to ultimately put out better material.

rkanodia

First Post
kennew142 said:

It does sound like it will go pretty fast. I could imagine it really being something as simple as, "Pick the level, category (minion/regular/elite/solo), and class (soldier/brute/skirmisher/artillery) of the monster you want to build. This gives you all the stats for the monster. If you want to vary them, here is a set of mechanics for doing that, or you can just keep them exactly as written and your players will never notice. The chart also tells you that you get to pick X standard actions, Y minor actions, and Z immediate actions from the table for the monster's special abilities. If you want to make up new ones, here's a rubric for what's appropriate. You can give the monster gear, but you don't have to, and it doesn't change the stats at all - it's just fluff." That would absolutely thrill me.

Lizard

Explorer
Scribble said:
One of the things that first made me really like 3e was that it seemed like making new monsters and races and classes "SHOULD" have been easy, logical and consistant... But then it wasn't because the actual formulas and math they used seemed to be guarded like the holy grail...

Unless we're talking about different things, they published the monster 'classes' (Giant, Outsider, yadda yadda) in Dragon and online pretty soon after the MM. Yeah, they should have been IN the MM (and were in 3.5), but it wasn't THAT bad.

Remove ads