OGL To Be Renamed Game System License (GSL)

Pale

First Post
You mean the supported edition that most people will be buying and stores will bother to stock is a whole new deal?

Isn't this pretty much what they had before the OGL when it came to third parties?

I know that this will keep a lot of bad product from showing up on shelves... but it also prevents the next Necromancer Games, Green Ronin or Privateer Press from seeing the light of day as well.

I think that it also crushes a lot of dreams out there.

charlesatan

Explorer
Pale said:
You mean the supported edition that most people will be buying and stores will bother to stock is a whole new deal?

Isn't this pretty much what they had before the OGL when it came to third parties?

I know that this will keep a lot of bad product from showing up on shelves... but it also prevents the next Necromancer Games, Green Ronin or Privateer Press from seeing the light of day as well.

For me it's better calling it the SGL rather than constantly referring to "oh, that book is the 3.0 OGL while that book is the 4.0 OGL".

And no, the SGL doesn't prevent third parties from using the 4E rules. THIS IS the license that allows them to use the 4E rules for the game, it's just not as loose as the original OGL, but probably a step ahead of the d20 license. For me this is good because if they didn't rename it, we'd be having two kinds of OGL out in the market.

Pale

First Post
So what are the restrictions on the GSL that make it not as open as the OGL?

I mean, if it costs cash to use it at all free fan products are out the window.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Pale said:

I prefer the culling and stop of bad third party products. Don't trust them myself, frankly. Okay, somes are made by old veterans, but others....

well

Since 4E is derivative of 3E, and 3E had the OGL, someone will be able to replicate the mechanics of 4E and release a product under the OGL that will be somewhat compatible with 4E, regardless of what the GSL says.

What they won't be able to do is use WoTC exclusive IP, or use the d20 Logo.

I'm wondering if part of the drive towards feats with florid names (golden wyverns tail, or whatever) is to associate mechanics with fluff that WoTC can claim as protected IP. In other words, a OGL derived game like Grim Tales could pick up a 4E rules mechanic, but they'd have to change its name because the name is not Open. But that's just a wild guess.

At least, that's my perception of the situation. Would anyone care to correct me?

Ken

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases