What's the dump-stat of the modern day work-force?

orsal

LEW Judge
Ambrus said:
Or perhaps people don't have the Wisdom necessary to make their Will saves against the temptation to avoid bad foods. ;)

The temptation to avoid bad foods? So, you're saying that we fail our will saves and therefore get tempted to avoid bad foods? Poor will causes us to eat our broccoli, while if we were wiser and resisted the healthy temptation we'd be eating potato chips instead?

I don't think that came out quite the way you intended.

Ourph said:
Exactly correct, Wis is humanity's dump stat and has been since the dawn of time. If nothing else, the intarweb is proof that, despite great advances in technology and education, humanity as a whole still retains a strong urge toward indescriminate poo-flinging.

I am offended Sirrah! My poo is flung with utmost discrimination! Only a donkey would think otherwise.

:lol:

joe b.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
In Arizona its Intelligence. Ask for help in a store and an employeee wil beat the subject around a bush so badly that leaves you saying, "huh?".

Slife

First Post
Kaodi said:
I think you are all missing the point. Since a 10/11 is by definition, AVERAGE, the answer is that it is the numbering that has changed, not the scores. ;)

On a less meta note, however, it is naive to think that Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma are somehow less prevalent now than they were at any point in the past. If people are dumb now, it means everyone is the past was just as dumb (on the whole, of course). Strength and Constitution are the only ones that are debatable. Of course, D&D does not model fitness well, if at all. But I suppose you could say that both Str and Constitution are on the decline, for some of the above reasons. Do not forget, however, that Constitution also takes into account resistance to poison and disease, which is arguable up in some respects and down in others. The fact that we are being continuously poisoned to some degree by our very environment means that our Constitution is probably hurting as a result of being damaged over time...
Of course, better nutrition and understanding of poison have their effects too.

For example, you consuming lead would give substantial penalties to int, but we don't do that anymore. The Romans did, and some historians believe that that was one of the major reasons for their downfall. Better nutrition also leads to better brain development. I wouldn't say that int is increased, but there are far fewer people with acquired penalties.

As far as con goes, lifespans are much longer than they used to be. Given that diseases should be fort saves, I'm going to argue that con has increased as well

Dex? On average, lower, although nutrition has an effect upon this.

Str: Definitely lower. It's a dump stat because machines give such big circumstance bonuses.

Wis: On average? Probably the same. We just hear more about the really foolish people.

Cha: Again, probably the same, but greater social connectivity makes the influence of high/low charisma scores more noticeable.

ironvyper

First Post
Ebon Shar said:
Not to get into a discussion of the merits of religion, but I think that you pointing out the existence of religious beliefs as evidence of low wisdom is preposterous. Regardless of anyone's particular religious beliefs, I've found piety often reflects great wisdom. Just like anything, though, fundamentalism and extremism often do reflect a distinct lack of wisdom. Just my 2 cents.

True, wisdom and religion are totally unrelated. Religion and intelligence on the other hand are opposite sides of the same coin.

Derro

First Post
Ebon Shar said:
Derro, those of us who have offered Charisma as the dump stat are those that work in public relations or otherwise have jobs that take us into contact with a great variety of people. If anyone is capable of make that judgement, it is those like us who have the opportunity to interact with many people on a daily basis. We are not saying Charisma is not OUR dump stat as well, that is a judgement for others.

I've wrung my hands over replying to this but as a wise man once said...

I am offended Sirrah! My poo is flung with utmost discrimination! Only a donkey would think otherwise.

As a theater tech, caterer, musician, and burlesque organizer I interact with a lot of different people too. And nothing says Charisma dump stat like being unable to take a joke.

I was kidding around in a humor thread. Why aren't you? :)

Merkuri

Explorer
krissbeth said:
The MBTA has convinced me that everything is a dump stat nowadays.

awayfarer said:
But there are such charming people on the red line! Like that guy I saw who put his hands in front of his eyes like he was holding binoculars. He stared and giggled at everyone.

Away, you were looking at your own reflection in the windows. That was you. ;)

I'd go with constitution. We're a very fat, lazy, and sickly society. We spend so much time trying to sterilize everything that our kids don't gain the immunities they should and they get sick easier. We eat everything and rarely move.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Andre said:
An argument can be made for any of them, but to me, Wisdom is the clear winner (loser).

We live in a society where large majorities tenaciously hold onto beliefs that directly contradict the science that allows our technological society to function. Who question those fundamental theories of science, yet go to the doctor expecting him/her to be a miracle worker. Who have the intelligence to operate a computer, but cannot be bothered to use even minimal anti-virus software. Who forward emails full of urban legends without bothering to google the "warning" to discover it's just another hoax. Who will sue a major company because the company is somehow at fault when they spill coffee while driving their car.

In the words of the great Will Rogers, "Common sense ain't."

(BTW, despite it's faults, I still can't imagine living anywhere else. Just goes to show that Wisdom is probably my dump stat too... :) )

Research the McDonald's Hot Coffee incident and you may find that the facts are other than you believe. The reports of that incident are precisely the kind of urban legend you've decried.

--G

Goobermunch

Explorer
ironvyper said:
True, wisdom and religion are totally unrelated. Religion and intelligence on the other hand are opposite sides of the same coin.

There's really no reason to go there. I've known a great many brilliant people of faith. I've also known a great number of really dumb atheists.

--G

Remove ads