GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

covaithe

Explorer
Hurrying behind Umraecyl, you exit the walled compound into the square. Across the way, the denizens of the bazaar have gathered into a small crowd near the entrance to a large tent. Over the entrance is a wooden sign on a pole, showing an anvil beneath a crossed sword and axe; a common symbol for a dealer in weapons and armor. From the center of the crowd comes the voice of a very angry dwarf in full cry.

"Give it back, ye cursed abomination! Yer a thief and a cheat and I'll crush ye where ye stand!"

"I stole nothing. All that you see is my own legal property, dwarf." the response comes. The voice is... disturbing. Despite its even, reasonable tone and cultured accent, it has a hollow ring, alien and harsh.

"What is this! Who dares disturb the peace of my bazaar?" Umraecyl thunders. He gathers a pair of burly guards with his eyes and shoulders his way effortlessly through the crowd. Following in his wake, you can see the principals.

The dwarf is typical enough of his kind, grizzled and crag-faced, brows clenched furiously together. He wears mirror-polished scale armor with a faint red nimbus, and large, ash-blackened fists clutch a huge two-handed hammer, the head of which glows white and shimmers like an intensely hot fire.

Across from him in the circle formed by the crowd is a skeleton, dressed in rich red robes, comically belted above the hips with a silver chain. From the chain hangs a beautiful ornamented eating dagger, obviously of dwarven make. On the skeleton's bleached forehead, above the empty eye sockets, is a familiar brand: a circle with inward-curved spikes inside and out. A faint trickle of smoke wafts lazily up from the brand. The skeleton is flanked by two hulking zombies staring mindlessly ahead, their rotting flesh too decrepit to determine what creature they were in life.

The dwarf turns. "Umraecyl. Ye know I've banned this unholy thing from buyin' my wares. I swore he'd never lay a finger bone on the work of these two hands. And now here he comes, paradin' around the square, my own handiwork on his belt! It's an unholy outrage, and an affront to the forge god, and I mean to crush him where he stands, if he don't give it back!"

Umraecyl responds heatedly. "You'll crush no one in my bazaar, Gribble. I don't care what he did, these are my lands and my rules apply. Now put that hammer down or you'll never sell another rusty nail here again."

Gribble argues back, "Yer rules also say no stealin', but there he stands, my knife hangin' from his belt! What about that?"

Umraecyl does not look aside, but locks eyes with the dwarf. "I'll get to that, right after you put that hammer down. Or after I take it from you and throw you out of these caves. Whichever."

There is a tense moment as the hushed crowd waits, expecting action, but Gribble looks away and hurls the hammer down, where it sinks a foot deep into the packed dirt, head smoking. He takes a step back and folds his arms, chin thrust out defiantly.

Umraecyl, without relaxing, turns to the skeleton. "Well? What have you to say?"

"I purchased this dagger legitimately. I stole nothing. I have no need of theft, as you well know." The skeleton's face is fixed in the permanent mocking grin of death, but his voice sounds unworried and even a bit smug.

Umraecyl raises a skeptical brow. "Do you deny that this is Gribble's work? He says he did not sell it to you."

"Naturally not. I purchased it from the half-elf Peliax, who calls himself Moonsong. Where he acquired it, I neither know nor care."

"That's a damn lie," Gribble interjects. "I never sold it to Peliax! What's more..."

A cough behind him interrupts Gribble, and a younger dwarf speaks in embarrassed tones. "Uh, boss... I, uh... Well, when you were away from the shop yesterday..." He looks aside from Gribble's fierce glare.

Umraecyl sighs. "Gribble, it sounds like a legitimate purchase. If Peliax bought this knife from you, it's his to do with as he pleases. You know that."

Gribble, face like a thundercloud, turns the skeleton. "May Zephos consign what's left of yer soul to his deepest hells fer a hundred lifetimes."

"When my master's inevitable triumph arrives, I shall ask him to give you to me as a gift," the skull counters coolly.

"I'll die first!"

"That will not be an obstacle."

Gribble turns and storms back into his tent, looking as if he wished there were a door to slam. The crowd begins to drift away, and the younger dwarf busies himself trying to pry the smoking hammer out of the ground.

Umraecyl turns to the skeleton and continues, in tones that still betray stress and discomfort, though without the edge of immediate threat of a moment before. "Lyrial, I don't care how much money you have to throw around, I cannot have you disrupting my bazaar. Gribble has been a partner for many years; his store is a fixture here, and I nearly had to throw him out today because of your petty prank."

"I merely..."

"Don't patronize me. You clearly put Peliax up to it, probably funded the purchase yourself. That bard can't hold on to ten silvers for longer than it takes to find the nearest cask of ale, let alone the price of one of Gribble's masterpieces. And what do the undead need with eating daggers, hmm? If you want to stay here long enough to bid on the Urn, stop causing trouble. And don't tell me what will happen when your master comes to power; I don't care," he adds quickly as the grinning mouth opens again.

"As you say. I shall return to my quarters for now. Fare well, while yet you can." The skeleton sweeps away toward the dimly lit caverns with his entourage.

Kenku17

First Post
William stand there as the crowd begins to dispurse with a hand on his beard. "Well that was an interesting altercation" he says. He stands there for a minute thinking before saying "I think I might give that blacksmith a visit sometime later. I can definitly see some craftmanship in what he makes...and he seems to know a little about that skeleton...

Heckler

First Post
"Indeed, we may have found an ally in Master Gribble. A friendly word and a tankard of ale may buy us much...after he's had some time to cool down.

Certainly this skeleton's master has been providing our obstacles for us. And I'm very curious about what will happen when he comes to power. Hmmm...I wonder...with a bit of shenanigans we may be able to get friend skeleton banned from the bazaar...one less person bidding against us. Of course, we need to be careful, we don't want to get banned ourselves."

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human cleric

"Certainly this skeleton's master has been providing our obstacles for us. And I'm very curious about what will happen when he comes to power. Hmmm...I wonder...with a bit of shenanigans we may be able to get friend skeleton banned from the bazaar...one less person bidding against us. Of course, we need to be careful, we don't want to get banned ourselves."

"You recognize something about the skeleton, then? Or were your obstacles all of the undead variety?" Weel asks, curious, though he doesn't seem to wait for an answer. "First time I've seen an animated skeleton, even from a distance. I never could figure out how they form words without proper lips or a tongue. But then, I suppose that's why they call it 'magic,' yes?

"Now the temple taught me some prayers they assure me can frighten the undead, though I'm not certain of how much of that kind of power I can really channel, and even if it weren't a fiery glowing hammer, I suspect that's probably considered an attack, isn't it? I wonder if ... um ..."

Weel trails off as he appears to realize he's begun to babble in his excitement.

"Right. Well, the assistant seems to be having himself a time with that hammer. Maybe if we help him out, it gets us an introduction?" he tries, attempting to focus on the matter at hand.

Heckler

First Post
"You recognize something about the skeleton, then? Or were your obstacles all of the undead variety?" Weel asks, curious, though he doesn't seem to wait for an answer. "First time I've seen an animated skeleton, even from a distance. I never could figure out how they form words without proper lips or a tongue. But then, I suppose that's why they call it 'magic,' yes?

"There were some skeletons that got in our way, one of them had a brand on his forehead that matched our friend's here," Octavio mumbles.

"Right. Well, the assistant seems to be having himself a time with that hammer. Maybe if we help him out, it gets us an introduction?"
he tries, attempting to focus on the matter at hand.
"Now there's a capital idea! Hello there, lad! Could you use a hand with that?," Octavio perks up, approaching the blacksmith's assisstant.

covaithe

Explorer
"Aye, thanks friend. If you could just push here, and I'll pull from over there..." the dwarf, barely an adult by the looks of his beard, directs your efforts, and after a moment or two of straining, the hammer comes loose with a hiss and a pop.

"Whew! Again, my thanks. Gribble doesn't usually let his temper go like that, but..." he shrugs expressively. "That undead mage knew exactly what buttons to push. Last week Gribble spotted Merilmar, that derro merchant with the exotic spices, walking around with an heirloom axe. He's been fuming about that ever since, and this today was just too much. It's lucky Umraecyl came when he did; two minutes later and I'd be out of a job. I'm Nesker, by the way."

Remove ads