possibly looking for a new system - need recommendations!

GlassJaw

Hero
I have no interest in 4E and while I still enjoy 3.x, I'm starting to get a little burned out with all the variants available. So I'm thinking I might need to change systems for a bit.

I do have some "requirements" though:

- Classless/skill-based characters: I'd prefer a system that is classless but I'd be ok with a system that uses archetypes or generic classes. I don't want specific core classes.

- Some kind of action point mechanic that allows the PC's to perform cinematic and heroic stunts and maneuvers and improve their die rolls.

- Balance between fast and tactical combat. I'd prefer a system that plays a bit faster than d20 but still maintains a good degree of tactics and combat options. I'd also prefer a system that supports using minis and a grid/battlemat.

- Reduced prep time, at least when compared to d20/3.x. Time is precious these days.

- Should support a variety of settings, eras, and campaigns. Not sure what type of game it will be but I want the flexibility to run a pirate campaign, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc.

- Limited materials needed to play, especially for the players. I'd like an "all-in-one" system so the players can have everything they need in one book. It would be perfect if we could have a couple of copies of the book at the table and be all set.

I'm not set against d20 one way or the other. I'm just looking for a system that meets the above requirements. Thanks!

SavageRobby

First Post
I'll throw out Savage Worlds, which meets all the requirements as well. Fast, Fun, Furious, easy to prep, cross genre, supports minis extremely well (there is even a version and some setting books for purely skirmish), lots of combat options (and static toe-to-toe combat is highly discouraged), Bennies and Adventure Cards (player mechanics to improve their chances and do super cinematic things) - I think it covers all the bases your looking for.

You can find their Test Drive Rules here.

In addition to the game play elements, one of the principles they follow on is a "two book" mentality. To play in any given setting, all you need are two books - the core rules (which is currently $9.99 for the Explorer's Edition) and the setting book, which contains the world, and usually a plot point campaign - similar to an Adventure Path. (They do have additional toolkits and a few other resources, but they're not required nor ever referenced in a setting book. I've found they're mostly for homebrews or conversions.) That said, their Deadlands setting will probably break the two book rule, but its the only Savage setting I can think off that does.

Heck, some settings, like Pirates of the Spanish Main and Solomon Kane, don't even require the rulebook - they come completely self-contained.

Flynn

First Post
I would second the nomination of Savage Worlds. It meets all of your requirements, and is truely a blessing to GM. For a more detailed review, I would suggest that you read through the following notes on my first Savage Worlds campaign, to see how it compares:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=213056

There's a lot of discussion about adventuring, the rules and how it captures the flavor of a strong fantasy campaign. Oh, and the players only need a $10 rulebook. (Come to think of it, that's all the GM really needs, too, although there are some great resources out there to expand your adventure capacities, both free and low-priced.)

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

Woas

First Post
And I will... Ménage à trois suggest Savage Worlds. ;) ;) ;) I read the list you presented with your original post and Savage Worlds fits your requirements 100%. And it even has an added bonus requirement you didn't list, it's a STEAL for only $10! So no breaking the piggy-bank for a whole new ruleset.

bento

Explorer
Some additional things about True20 you might like:

* No XP: GM tells the players when they level up, usually at the completion of an adventure. I love this because it provides down time for the players to develop a new skill or feat. It also lessens the mindset among players that they have to kill everything in sight, as the game shifts away from constantly "defeating" foes to successfully completing an adventure.

* Players have more control over character development: the ridgedness of 3/3.5E class feat trees are gone as players can now pick the feats they want (or you allow) when they level up. There are very few pre-qualified feats, so there's not so much "I have to wait until level X before I can get feat Y" whining among the players. Also for players who like to multi-class (really multi-role), there are fewer penalities. And when you have players who have a specific character in mind, they can get closer to what they really want to play. I had two players who wanted to create and run completely different types of ninjas (Naruto & Ninja Scroll) and they could with the character creation rules.

* Easily adoption of feats/powers from 3E resources: I ran a historical-horror game that needed some gunpowder rules. As there weren't any available, I could easily "translate" some d20 modern feats and equipment rules over from another source. I also had a player in another game that wanted his character to be a kitsune (fox-person). Using some d20 Oriental Adventure resources, we could make this happen. I like using resources from other games and I never really felt restricted using True20.

I'd suggest giving both rulesets a look and see what's best for you.

Good luck!

Ant

First Post
OD&D meets all of your requirements except for the Action Points (though you could argue that it negates the need for Action Points by its very nature).

I love 3.5 but find OD&D revitalising.

GlassJaw

Hero
Yeah, I've done some reading on Savage Worlds and I think it's currently at the top of my list. To those familiar with the various supplements, where are rules for magic/spellcasting located?

Looking at the setting materials, I'm thinking a combination of Solomon Kane and Pirates of the Spanish Main would be cool, sort of a blend of pirates/Victorian/horror/supernatural.

Any other products in the SW line worth looking at?

Hero meets a lot of your requirements. No action points, but the system is tilted to cinematic action*. Character gen takes a bit, but once done, spending experience takes moments.

Prep time is long for building your own villains, but there are many books full of them so you don't have to. It is a universal system and has solid support for fantasy and Supers, and lesser support for Pulp, modern action, and SF. And all those use the same rules so genre mashing or cross genre is no more work than in one genre.

All the rules are in the main rulebook. There is also a slimmed down version which still contains 90% of the rules and is written to teach new players (Sidekick) - and sidekick is cheap. But that is just the rulebook. Because the system is universal all setting material is in supplemental books.

Don't know if that fits you needs, but it does match some of your stuff. :) And it is my system of choice, so I thought I'd throw it out.

* the pulp hero book has action points, but that isn't in the core.

Remove ads