White text on black baground makes my eyes hurt

Flamegrape

First Post
I enjoy reading EN World. But not for more than 20 seconds because the colors make my eyes hurt. I'm not exaggerating. It makes my eyes HURT. Physical pain. I'm not trying to be funny or whatever. It really does make my eyes hurt.

Is there any chance at all that this color scheme can be changed?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Bottom of the page, left corner is a drop-box that says default. From there you can change styles to suit you better. I suggest trying stealth.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Style changer is bottom left of every page.

There's no chance of us changing the default scheme - it's been EN Worldf's look for 7 years. But there are other colour schemes available using that dropdown.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Fiddling with that drop-box revealed a bug that you might want to check into Morrus. Or rather tell Mike to check. There's the "Default 2" which seems to be the Forum-default and then there's just "Default". When I turn on the latter, it disables ads. This is probably an unintentional way to circumvent those annoying ads ;). It also adds the 4e news box back to the top of the page.

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
I feel the same exact way, Flamegrape. If I look away after reading EN World with the default font for only a few minutes I see horizontal stripes over everything. I've never had that problem anywhere but here, so I don't know what it is.

I actually prefer the PHB skin at home because it's prettier, but here at work I use stealth because it's more subtle.

TimeOut

First Post
I use the PHB skin myself. Problem is with threads that are formatted with colors and assume the default color scheme. But a copy & paste or just marking it with the mouse is fine.

Psionicist

Explorer
This is a problem with high-brightness, high-contrast (that is, expensive) TFT-monitors. While the brightness make these monitors very suitable for photo editing and generally displaying colors accurately, they are not very good at _not_ displaying light. The brightness from small areas can be blinding.

Annoyinginly, this is exactly the opposite problem of CRT:s. That is why most websites from the early 2000:s are light-on-dark.

I do have a suggestion for you though, this: http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/the-zap-colors-bookmarklet Bookmark the link "Zap Colors", then click this bookmark on light-on-dark websites.

MarkB

Legend
I usually use the Light style (I think it was called that), but for the past few days the only styles I've had access to are Default 2, Player's Handbook, and Stealth.

I've been making do with Player's Handbook, which is fine (though not my preference), but even after selecting it in my profile, the site defaults back to Default 2 whenever I access it for the first time each day.

Is there any way to restore the previously-available styles, or failing that, how can I make the PHB style 'stick'?

EDIT: I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.14, if that's a factor.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
TimeOut said:
I use the PHB skin myself. Problem is with threads that are formatted with colors and assume the default color scheme. But a copy & paste or just marking it with the mouse is fine.

Yeah, there's not much we can do about that. I wish people who use strange font colours in their posts realised that half the people here can't read their posts.

Remove ads