No more ESDs!!!

Staffan

Legend
I just saw this posted by Jim Butler on Bastion Press's message boards:
Wizards Stopping ESD Conversions
Wizards of the Coast has informed us to quit scanning all non-D&D products, effective immediately. We've got one more turnover of PDFs (that will include Alternity, Gamma World, and some others), but this turnover won't make these game systems complete downloads as we'd planned.

We're hoping to work out some kind of deal with Wizards that would allow us to finish scanning these, but we have no news to report on that front.

We'll continue to make corrections for the next month or so on existing ESDs.

Thanks for your support through the last 16 months!

Personally, I think this sucks immensely - the ESDs were a *great* way to acquire old OOP stuff, and now they won't finish the project. Boo, WOTC!

thundershot

Adventurer
Well, he did say "non-D&D" products... I can't say I've bought a non-D&D one thus far... Sorry to everyone that this affects. I was hoping to eventually pick up Boot Hill and Top Secret, but alas...

Chris

Bendris Noulg

First Post
It's probably copyright related... A lot of conversions on non-mainstream stuff has been appearing in Polyhedron (Ex: SpellJammer, Gamma World), and making this material available would allow just about anyone to make a d20 conversion for posting, especially with d20 Modern coming out (Indiana Jones, Top Secret and Boot Hill being obvious candidates for post-Modern release conversions).

Just a guess, but I wouldn't doubt there's a relation.

jrtyler

First Post
Has anyone else noticed that for the past several days anytime you try to go to the svgames website it prompts for a username and password, and if you don't have one it gives you a Yahoo "Authorization Required" screen. I wonder if this has anything to do with this announcement or if its something totally different.

John Tyler

Psion

Adventurer
That's too bad. Alternity's a great game, but out of print. Having the alternity line available as PDFs would have gone a long way towards making it more accessible to the group.

Whatever the case, I hope they don't stop selling the ones they already have. There's some great ideas in some of that old school material, and I really intend to pick up as many PS ESD's as I can (nevermind I have all but I PS product in print; having all that stuff on my laptop is a huge benefit IME.)

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
Not too fussed since we have NEVER been able to get them in the UK (or lots of Europe) due to some stupid reason. They have always said they were working on a UK release but I guess they won't be working on that anymore.

Voadam

Legend
That's too bad, I was hoping to eventually pick up the alternity core books and superatural sourcebooks as ESDs. Well I hope they get the PH, psionics and FX books out.

smetzger

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
Not too fussed since we have NEVER been able to get them in the UK (or lots of Europe) due to some stupid reason. They have always said they were working on a UK release but I guess they won't be working on that anymore.

I thought since they turned their online store over to svgames that you could in fact get ESDs outside the US. Was I misinformed?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Bagpuss, I would check again. I believe there was an announcement on this very site that SVGames allowed international purchases?

Remove ads