fastball special

Shard O'Glase

First Post
ok someone was asking a ? about grappling then throwing someone how would that be done.

It got me to thinking what if you want to be thrown, how far could you be thrown?

What would the effects be if you were thrown into someone?

Assuming you got skills like tumbling could you attack someone when you were thrown into them.?

Since you are being moved and not moving would you get a full attack or a standard attack?

Thinking of reintroducing my 1/2ling monk with his two large friends(ogre barbarians) too my new group. It's the same world(greyhawk) they are in the same vacinity as when my little friend 1st showed for a different group as recuring villans. So can the buff ogres fastball special the 1/2 ling monk and if so how far could a orge str 29 when raging throw a 40lb powerhouse.

Are there any rules for anything like this, or even just thowing distance in any of the supplements? Heck just some decent commentary on how you would paly it would be nice.

Corwin

Explorer
The Sage also had a recommended house rule, for this too, a few issues back.

I'd look it up but my wife accidently threw out all my dragon mags a few months ago :(

At least, she "says" it was an accident...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Re: Re: fastball special

Corwin said:
The Sage also had a recommended house rule, for this too, a few issues back.

I'd look it up but my wife accidently threw out all my dragon mags a few months ago :(

At least, she "says" it was an accident...

Now if there ever was a legitimite reason for a divorce...

Dang I knew I shouldn't of let my subscription lapse, thanks for the referense maybe i'll be able to find it in some back issues at my local gaming store.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dragons and some other creatures have a "Fling" ability. Make it a feat that allows you to use a grapple check to throw someone a distance based on how much you win the check by. (Maybe allow an option to double that distance if the Fling is done as an AoO provoked by movement, or as a Readied action against someone charging you. This would represent using your opponents momentum against them.)

Call it a jump check using the highest STR of those involved, no height limit, move equivelent action. The little guy could help, too.

Or, if he is a light load with all gear included (no doubt), then just give him a range increment of 10', with a # of increments based on the STR bonus of the flinger. A Tumble check for no damage would apply, and this would definetly be a charge attack.

I made a Halfling Barbarian as well. His name is Bread, thats all he says. He uses inflection to get his point across.;)

Shade Murphy

First Post
The character gets thrown a minimum distance plus an additional distance depending on the amount by which the character's STR check result exceeds 10.

Willing 5 ft. +1 ft./1 point above 10

Being spun 3 ft. +1 ft./2 points above 10
Over Shoulder (Judo Style) 2 ft. +1 ft./4 points above 10
Thower is prone (Monkey flip style) 2 ft. +1 ft./8 points above 10

Look familiar?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Shade Murphy said:
The character gets thrown a minimum distance plus an additional distance depending on the amount by which the character's STR check result exceeds 10.

Willing 5 ft. +1 ft./1 point above 10

Being spun 3 ft. +1 ft./2 points above 10
Over Shoulder (Judo Style) 2 ft. +1 ft./4 points above 10
Thower is prone (Monkey flip style) 2 ft. +1 ft./8 points above 10

Look familiar?

This being fairly basic and weak on the distanes is what I'm going to start with. It's easier to tone things up than down I've found in games. My only problem is like in this case abilities checks have some serious diminishing returns, sorta. The ogre in this case when raging can lift over a ton. The 1/2ling with all his gear weighs 40lbs.(about 18kg i think) Bulk isn't much of issue since 1/2ling small, ogre large. The ogre can lift about 15 times what I could lift, if the 1/2lings weight were difided by 15 it would be a little under 3 lbs, or a little over 1kg. I'll have to test it but how far can an average joe throw a 3lb object. It might very well fit in with these numbers, or at east close enough for government work.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Next ? charge attack works for me as a basic rule.

Would this seem out of place or unbalanced. Tumble check DC 10+distance thrown to land with such ease that you get afull attack upon your arrival?

Remove ads