New Masterwork Armors, Power Creep...but a good kind of Power Creep?

Stalker0

Legend
So I'm looking at the new masterwork armors in the adventurer's vault. For the light armors, its pretty much a case of better AC or a better defense, which I'm fine with. However, for the heavy armor's, they simply provide a better AC then the standard phb armors.

However...I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. We've seen some threads where people are showing how their rogues and wizards actually have the same or better ACs then the defender equivalents. Considering that a defender loses ACP and speed (which comes up a decent amount I have found), I think they should get some of the benefits of this.

So I'm interested to here people's thoughts. In general I don't like power creep as much as the next guy, but if its power creep that fills in a deficiency in the core, I'm usually favorable to it.

Solodan

First Post
I'm looking at it and that doesn't seem to be the case. It simply is more of a tiered system. Maybe my math is wrong, but the armors in the Adventurers Vault simply allow more options on your way to the next tier, choosing between points of AC for points of Fort/Reflex/Will

I think the PHB still has the highest AC version of the level 30 armors.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm looking at it and that doesn't seem to be the case. It simply is more of a tiered system.

Your right that at later levels the AC is not any more, I'm referring to the lower levels. For example, when characters get +2 plate armor by core, they get a +10 AC (8 from armor, 2 from magic). With the new masterwork armor its +11 AC (9 armor, 2 from magic).

DLichen

First Post
It seems that the heavy armor introduces masterwork items that bridge the gap from +0 to +4.

It provides a new set of options that didn't use to exist at those levels, but doesn't yet increase the power ceiling.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
This is just a smoothing of the AC slope. Power creep, to me, would indicate that the incline becomes steeper and/or reaches a higher final point, which isn't the case here.

Given that light armours already had a more even slope, thanks to Dex/Int bonuses, this merely brings heavy armours more in line.

DracoSuave

First Post
Yeah, the bridge armors make it so that the heavy armor users can keep pace with the light armor users until they get their first +4 tier armors. It's not power creep so much as power-smoothing.

Remove ads