Forked Thread: Name one thing you love and one thing you hate about 4e D&D

CormEvyrncrest claimed that 4E art is much spikier than 3E art, and I asked him to demonstrate it.

CormEvyrncrest said:
and I'm fine with being challenged...you asked me to prove it....I have not problem with that.
3 ed weapons collage-From Arms & Equipment
leaving.jpg

and now
2 4e Weapon Collages- from Races n Classes Preview
109869.jpg

and
109882.jpg

while I don't have much of an issue with the first picture of 4e weapons...though some of the size comparisons I feel are off..., looking at the 2nd image makes me feel like someone had a seizure while drawing weapons. As i understand it, these are to be what the weapons of the Tiefling and Dragonborn races look like?? Yeah..I'll pass. Evil looking weapons, even infernal looking weapons, could have been done with better taste then these.
Nothing like that second illustration is to be found in the 4E PHB. Remembar that Races & Classes was a preview book, and things changed between it and the final game. Tiefling weapons do look like the second image, though there are only a few illustrations showing tiefling weapons in the core books.

Now, providing a single example certainly does not prove your point. Let's compare the armour art from the 3E PHB and the 4E PHB.

Here's 3E:

3Earmor.JPG

And here's 4E:

4Earmor.JPG

It's pretty clear there are more spikes in the 3E illustration.

greyscale1

First Post
The fact that this is a discussion at ALL seems strange. Did I miss something? Are spikes some eldritch currency of game goodness?

Not all armor looks like the example armor. In both editions armor is only as spikey as DM and players want it to be.

Or maybe I just dont understand the argument.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Dragonborn and Tieflings have more spikes (crests on the DB, horns and tails on the TF) than half-orcs and gnomes.

In fact, take almost any image of Dragonborn or Tiefling, and I'd make a fairly safe bet that the weapon or armor they are using is weirdly spikey/flame-like/siezure-induced.

Not that 3e was free of weird spikes, and I can see the logic (and don't have much of an issue with) 4e's spikes.

Aramax

First Post
Like-The whole concept of daily and encounter powers its really spiked my monster creating
Dislike-Wizards-love the whole Vancian magic system

Firevalkyrie

First Post
Likes: Powers! I always liked the idea of playing a fighter a lot more than the reality of being stuck doing the same thing every round or being mechanically penalized by the DM for trying something new.

Dislike: I want to be more free of the grid than the system seems to like.

Likes: Powers! I always liked the idea of playing a fighter a lot more than the reality of being stuck doing the same thing every round or being mechanically penalized by the DM for trying something new.

Dislike: I want to be more free of the grid than the system seems to like.

Love: Monster stat blocks

Hate: Marking

Ah, guys, you're in the wrong thread! This is the forked one with supposedly a different topic!

greyscale1

First Post
O ho ho. Such mischief.

Fifth Element: In that respect, I agree, both of them are damn spikey. If I had to make a judgement I would say that items got less spikey and, as Kamikazi miget said, players got more spikey.

Ayup. Though those spikeball gloves in the AV are pretty funny too.

Remove ads