STAR TREK by JJ Abrams - new photos

Ranger REG

Explorer
Specifically, for those of you who were diehards (and who had boring evenings to fill) that watched Enterprise through to the end...

In the fourth season of Enterprise, Berman and Braga were off doing other things. They gave the reins to Manny Coto, and the improvement in quality was nigh instantaneous. Coto knew what Enterprise should have been about, and he rapidly took the series in that direction. Unfortunately, it was too late to save the series. If he'd had it from the beginning, with the same cast, I believe we'd have a far better opinion of the show, and the franchise now.
I won't disagree. The show's fourth season outshined the previous three seasons combined.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I won't disagree. The show's fourth season outshined the previous three seasons combined.

The only downsides to season 4 were the first two episodes where Coto had to clean up the alien nazi mess he was left with, and the final episode where B&B took back over and once more screwed the series.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
The only downsides to season 4 were the first two episodes where Coto had to clean up the alien nazi mess he was left with, and the final episode where B&B took back over and once more screwed the series.
That's why I consider the Mirror Universe two-parter as the "real" ending. It was definitely making up for the retro-TNG ending.

Cheers, LT.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm looking forward to this. I'll be trying to take my wife and kids on opening night (though that is my 16th wedding anniversary.....).

Banshee16

First Post
Just saw the new trailer......WOW. I have to say, I'm not a Star Trek fan.....I watched parts of the TOS, TNG, DSN, and Voyager, and about 3 of the more recent movies, but it was always second fiddle to Star Wars for me...

I have nothing really invested in the canon, etc.

But that trailer.....either they did an amazing job with the trailer, based on a movie that's not so good, or this could be a killer reboot of the series.

Crossing my fingers for May...

Banshee

Ranger REG

Explorer
Just saw the new trailer......WOW. I have to say, I'm not a Star Trek fan.....I watched parts of the TOS, TNG, DSN, and Voyager, and about 3 of the more recent movies, but it was always second fiddle to Star Wars for me...

I have nothing really invested in the canon, etc.

But that trailer.....either they did an amazing job with the trailer, based on a movie that's not so good, or this could be a killer reboot of the series.

Crossing my fingers for May...

Banshee
Wow. That doesn't sound good. Star Trek tends to be more cerebral than Star Wars. To be anything less is ... Star Wars.

:p

Desert Hare

Banned
Banned
You know I was dead set against ever seeing the new Trek movie, but after seeing the new trailer in the theater, I am Hooked!

I absolutely must see it in the theater.

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
Wow. That doesn't sound good. Star Trek tends to be more cerebral than Star Wars. To be anything less is ... Star Wars.

That's one of the reasons I still remain skeptical of the new flick. Abrams has said that he was always a bigger fan of Star Wars because of the bigger action quotient and wanted to bring some of that to the new Trek.

We'll see how it works out. Trek did have some great action pieces, but as you say it all rested on a more "cerebral" base of exploring big ideas.

Banshee16

First Post

Not that I've seen all the episodes, but I was always under the impression that the Star Trek movies were always more action packed than the TV shows were. I don't seem to remember the Enterprise being destroyed nearly as often in the shows as has happened in the movies. But I think I've only seen three of the movies...First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. And I remember one where they beamed up some great blue whales, and Spoke was wearing a headband to cover his ears. And I think I've seen pieces of Wrath of Khan. And one where Spock became a child again, or something. Admittedly, a lot of the earlier Star Trek stuff kind of bored me so I usually turned it off before finishing the movies. That's why I'll admit to not being a huge fan. I mean, I would watch it if it was on, but it was never my first choice.

I have no issues with cerebral movies....Star Trek just didn't jive for me. Given the past 2000 years of history, I always had trouble conceptualizing a future where people were mainly getting along, instead of finding new and ingenious ways to slaughter each other with better weapons than we have now. And the whole having sex with aliens thing.....given our knowledge of evolution, reproductive barriers between separate species etc. I thought it was kind of silly that Kirk would be getting it on with all these alien woman who looked like normal women, but with blue skin and antennas or something.....I mean, if we ever do run into another intelligent species, who's to say that their gender organs won't be in their arm pits or something? :)

That doesn't mean light sabers et all are any more realistic....but Star Wars did have action.....and fencing :)

But just to be very clear....this is all my opinion....just because I've never been a huge fan, doesn't mean I'm criticizing those who are....it just wasn't really for me.

I think the new movie looks interesting, and hope it's as good as it looks.

I have no idea if it'll be as cerebral as the older material. Of course, given it's a movie trailer, it's possible that the movie has taken the key action sequences, and highlighted them, in order to generate hype, and in actuality, those sequences are spread out through 2 hours.

But if rebooting it like this saves the franchise, then great.....it would suck to see Star Trek permanently die. Maybe, to get new fans, they have to change things. Sometimes it sucks when you like the original, but times change, and unfortunately, what people like doesn't always remain the same. I've seen with some shows that I've liked that more action and/or comedy variants of them seem to have done better than the originals, which were more cerebral....I think to "Reaper", which seems awfully close to an older show, "Brimstone", that I really, really liked.....Brimstone was far more cerebral, but just didn't seem to catch on. At their roots, the two shows seem to share a lot of similarities, but the tone is very different.

Banshee

Last edited:

Remove ads