Fallout 3 - Today's the day!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Worse still, there's more DLC coming in February and March. The one in March will continue the game past the widely-criticized ending (which I havne't experienced yet) and expands the level cap to 30.

Of course, this is all part of the MS strategy: never give anything away for free if you don't have to. They'd make peculiar crack dealers.

Then again, the decision of whether or not to charge for DLC is usually left in the vendors' hands. Bethesda gave some of the Oblivion DLC away for free during a small window, then later would start charging. And then it all culminates in an "Ultimate" pack that incorporates all of the DLC to date for the price of just the original, much to the annoyance of fans who paid for everything piecemeal.
If MS is selling DLC, then some of the revenue has to be given to Bethesda. I don't think they're making DLC for free.

Vigilance

Explorer
Anyone who doesn't know Bethesda's business model by now hasn't been paying a lot of attention. Even in the Morrowind days they released two expansions, then later on, a "Game of the Year" edition that had everything, but was much cheaper.

On the topic of DLC, the first DLC was *ok*. I'm looking forward to the others more.

And since I am playing the game on the PC, I can avoid most of the MS BS. I just moved the Operation Anchorage files manually like any other mod and I can play the DLC without messing with GFWL crapware.

I think Fallout 3 (and I can't imagine I am saying this) is the best game in the series so far and one of the finest PC rpgs of all time.

Rackhir

Explorer
Isn't that what you're supposed to do after downloading it?

Not quite, MS is a big believer in trying to force you to use other products of theirs in order to use what ever you've actually bought, in order to lock you into their stuff as much as possible.

So they are trying to force you to use and install GFW in order to use the DLC for Fallout 3 on PCs. So that they can keep you enslaved and not use stuff like Valve's Steam or just blackmail all the ISVs into paying them a cut in order for you to use their software on a PC, just like they get to with the X-box.

Vigilance

Explorer
Isn't that what you're supposed to do after downloading it?

No, you are supposed to install the GFWL and be online every time you play Fallout 3 from the moment you install the DLC, forever, even though the original game was totally offline.

Also, you have to move all your saved games to a different folder, or they will not work.

In short, it takes the original game, adds a bunch of crapware and online requirements to it, and makes you manually move all your old saves to some different place.

That's if you do it the way MS wants you to do it, which I did not.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I couldn't get it to run from the "hidden" location so I too had to move the files to the main Fallout 3 directory. Seems to work fine from there. Major pain though!

Rackhir

Explorer
So it turned out to be a 6 month delay on the DLC for the PS3.

Fallout 3 DLC coming to PS3, with upcoming new content - Ars Technica

Late june for the "Operation : Anchorage", with "Broken Steel" and "The Pitt" following at 4-6 wk intervals.

The two newly announced DLCs are also coming to the PS3. With some degree of unspecified lag in their release, though since there's going to be a $60 "Game of the Year" edition with all of the DLC released in Oct. So, presumably no later than then.

Remove ads