Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
From OD&D and its various supplements, to BECMI, to Rules Cyclopedia, to AD&D, 2nd, 3.0, 3.5, to whatever editions I have missed? EVERYTHING IN THEIR ORIGINAL FORMAT, NO EDITING. By core rules i mean Monster Manual, DMG, PHB, as well as all the original contents of the boxed sets, and just or nostalgia sake, all the OD&D books, . Would you want to see WOTC put them out again?

Simon Atavax

First Post
From OD&D and its various supplements, to BECMI, to Rules Cyclopedia, to AD&D, 2nd, 3.0, 3.5, to whatever editions I have missed? EVERYTHING IN THEIR ORIGINAL FORMAT, NO EDITING. By core rules i mean Monster Manual, DMG, PHB, as well as all the original contents of the boxed sets, and just or nostalgia sake, all the OD&D books, . Would you want to see WOTC put them out again?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.:D

But I suspect that not nearly enough people would answer that way to make it worth the doing for WotC. :.-(

Edgewood

First Post

Yes absolutely!!! I believe that WotC are missing an entire segment of their market. Why not reissue just the core books of past editions? They're still viable. Many folks have their old books, sure, but like me I'm certain some would certainly buy a commemorative edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons PHB, DMG and MM1. Bring it on I say!!

Yes. The cost of printing vs the sales wouldn't be worth it for Hasbro though unless there was a huge market that would be willing to pay 2 or more times the original cover price.

FriarRosing

First Post
Yes. The cost of printing vs the sales wouldn't be worth it for Hasbro though unless there was a huge market that would be willing to pay 2 or more times the original cover price.

Exactly. They can't just go and reprint it all again. They lay out books completely different now days, I imagine. They'd have to completely redo all of it. That would cost a ton of cash. A ton of cash they probably wouldn't see come back to them.

Not that I wouldn't buy said books if they were somehow magically able to make them. If they just threw business to the wind and did it anyway, not caring about cash returns.

EDIT
I guess I didn't really answer the question of the thread in my post. Yes, I'd LOVE to see commemorative reprintings of the old stuff, but we'll never get it.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Not particularly. The market for an upscale commemorative edition is going to be pretty small and I think their resources and time could be better spent elsewhere. I think the vast majority of people who want older editions for the rules to play the game they want can acquire those rules fairly easily and probably pay much less for them.

darjr

I crit!
I would like to see reprints of the old stuff. I get the 'they should concentrate on new stuff', cuase I want the new stuff as well.

Having the PDF's available is a wonderful middle ground.

Still, I wonder if they'd dare to license some other company to do it?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases