From 1st to Maximum Level

Have you ever run or played a D&D campaign from 1st to maximum level?

• Yes, I played, and it was glorious!

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Yes, I ran it, and it was glorious!

Votes: 20 17.5%
  • Both! I am glorious!

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • No. Woe is I.

Votes: 77 67.5%

• Poll closed .

EATherrian

First Post
The highest level I've even achieved from 1st is, I believe, 6th. Usually we either have a TPK or a RLPK after that. I've been playing since 1980 also. :)

Mercule

Adventurer
A couple of characters made name level in my 1e campaign(s), but if you take "max level" to mean Arch-mage and 9th level spells, then, no.

Personally, I thought things got pretty boring by name level, anyway.

I played a Basic set up to 3rd. :)

Seriously, I had a number of 1st hit mid 30s in level, which is pretty much maxing out. Didn't play 2nd, had 4 characters in 3.x get to epic levels.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
The first 3E game I ran, I started just before the Epic Level Handbook came out, so of course I had to use some of that goodness.

That campaign started at 1st level, and we ended two years later at 22nd. I basically started it as the classic D&D MacGuffin (find an evil artifact before a major villain gets it) and it ended with a quest to destroy Baalzebul in his own fortress in the Nine Hells. Truly great stuff (and no, not because we had high-level characters).

Stoat

Adventurer
I've been a DM since about 1989, and I've run two campaigns from 1st to 20+ level.

The first was an all 2E game that ran for about 3 years, from 1990 to about 1993.

The second started as a 2E game in October 1999. We played up to 10th, and planned to stop when 3E came out. The first 3E campaign was a disaster, and the players converted their 2E characters over. We converted again for 3.5, and finally retired the campaign in, I think, 2005. When we stopped, the PC's were between 19th and 21st level.

Slander

Explorer
Not a serious game, no.

Back in high-school, shot way up in the 30's after defeating a Tarasque with Toothpicks of Slaying. But all of the serious campaigns in any edition tended to putter out around 10th level.

I'm running WotBS now and I've got my hopes up for this'n. Get back to me at the end of next year and I'll let you know how it turns out ;)

Remove ads