Wizards and healing spells

There are people who cast Fireball at your place? I envy the simplicity of your existence.
Dare I ask what you've got going on?

By the way, I found a spell from 1E that was an arcane heal. This is from the Dragonlance Adventures hardcover:
Dragonlance Adventures said:
TIMEHEAL (Evocation)
Level: 5 Components: V, M
Range: Touch Casting Time: 3 seg.
Duration: Permanent Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: One creature

This spell takes the creature it is cast upon and slips its body backward in time to a point where it was in better health, thus simulating a healing ability without using clerical powers.Time is of the essence in the timeheal spell as the greater the amount of time, the greater the chance of failure.

Each level of the casting wizard guarantees healing of the character's wounds for one minute previous to the casting. For example: a 9th-level wizard casting this spell is guaranteed to be able to take the wounded character back in time nine minutes to the character's condition at that time. For every minute earlier that the character must be taken back to be healed, there is a 5 % cumulative chance of spell failure. Thus, if the 9th-level wizard tried to use this spell to heal an adventurer wounded 20 minutes before the spell was cast, that would 11 minutes (20 minutes minus 9 minutes for his level) further than he could guarantee success, so he would have a 55 % chance (11 x 5%) that the spell fails.

Multiple Timeheals cannot be cast to increase the time the victim can be brought back with guaranteed spell success. Thus the 9th-level wizard cannot cast three successive Timeheals to bring his patient back 27 minutes and thus guarantee success (since none of the spells alone exceeded his guaranteed limit of nine minutes).

Timeheal will not recall a spirit from death and therefore is useful only if the character has at least I hit point remaining. A dead character who has a Timeheal placed upon him will be healed of the appropriate damage, but will nevertheless be dead as his spirit has fled into the heavens.
What's interesting there is that in AD&D, a round was one-minute instead of the 6 seconds it is in 3E and everything since. So any attempt at converting the spell would have to turn back the clock 1 round per caster level guaranteed, with the 5% failure chance per round beyond that.

Dozen

First Post
Dare I ask what you've got going on?
Right now? I'm the gish of a party of two, my partner being a bigoted cleric I bribed with brandy, in the middle of a cave in Lordran where we were 'directed' by an undead miner, trying to rub taint-ridden flora off of my shoes. Why do you ask?:/

Last edited:

nijineko

Explorer
i guess i shouldn't poke my nose too far into a divine/arcane conundrum. after all, i pretty much play psionics exclusively. sangehirn or ek feat for the healing win.

Greenfield

Adventurer
There's a Feat called "Extra Spell", normally reserved for spontaneous casters. Simply put, the caster gets to know one more spell of a given level. This doesn't bump spell slots (i.e. spells they can cast per day). That's a separate feat.

The joy of this, particularly in he context of this discussion, is that the spell doesn't have to be on your normal class spell list. So, by taking this feat, an arcane caster can gain access to Cure/Heal spells that they're normally forbidden.

As for an Epic Wiz using the Heal seed: Sounds like a DM discussion to me.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Lots of arcane necromantic spells provide healing (or rather trading of hp from friends or enemies). They don't work as well as cleric spells and indeed often have a drawback and are higher level than comparable clerical healing. These spells can be researched without house-ruling that the mage can learn cleric spells.

Some dragons can cast cleric spells but they cast as sorcerers and have to permanently give up a treasured arcane slot for that cleric spell.

Jef Gorbach

First Post
How old is your campaign world?
Eventually wizard(s) WILL see divine magic at work and research arcane variations, especially if anyone has multi-classed, has telepathy, spell-thieves exist, etc, etc, etc. so its not really a question of IF but whether "when" the lists begin merging, at which point you simply need to look at the existing spells already on both arcane and divine lists to find the pattern; IRC clerical spells are generally one level lower than their arcane versions.

Greenfield

Adventurer
My own take is this: It's not that Wizards and other Arcane casters haven't researched or had opportunity to observe and study Cure spells. It's that they can't research or learn them. Short of a gift from a deity, the power source (a deity) for those spells simply isn't available to them.

To fully understand them, in a way that would allow them to tap into such a source, they pretty much need to take a level in Cleric, or maybe Bard.

The "Extra Spell" feat I mentioned earlier is essentially that "gift from a deity". A Wiz' that uses that to gain access to a Cure spell can write a scroll with the spell on it, but other Wiz' types won't be able to use that to add it to their spell books.

Why not? The rules say that they need to make a Spellcraft check to decipher such a scroll and make that copy, and since they don't have that "gift from a deity" the writer did, the most understanding they can achieve regarding that spell is that they'll understand that it isn't one they can cast or use.

In terms of game balance, if we allow every type of spell caster access to every type of spell then the casting classes become meaningless. Why be a Wizard when you can be a Cleric and have access to any Arcane spell, while having an extra slot per level (Domain), skill in weapons, better hit points and the ability to cast in armor?

So, though it's only my opinion, I'm thinking that instead of trying to find a way around the rules, we should spend the same time and effort coming up with explanations for why the game world works the way it does.

Remove ads