ANOTHER monster book??

Krug

Newshound
http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=5404&mode=thread&order=0

Damon White Reports: We just got these details on Atlas Games' December Release, "The Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary". Check it out:

"He who fights against monsters should see to it that he does not become a monster in the process."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

A wizard in the process of developing magically sentient "alchemice" enters his lab one morning to find the cage doors opened, the locks apparently picked by the small bits of wire left lying on the workbench. A large number of potions are missing, and the cat is sealed into a half-full bottle of formaldehyde. His life becomes a nightmare.

Packs of reptilian bonethieves lurk in the depths of primal rain forests, magically absorbing the bones of living prey to stimulate the growth of their own protective bony horns and plating.

A candle golem is spontaneously created when the wax from mundane candles used in a wizard’s library is gathered, melted down, and reused one too many times. The loose arcane energy absorbed by the wax gives this tiny being a free will and an erratic response to magic.

A party of adventurers, bloody and without magic following an epic battle with a dragon, is driven away from the site of their victory by dracoticks vacating the corpse of their dragon host. Suffused with the dragon’s blood and camouflaged to look like its scales, the dracoticks unleash potent breath weapons that make for a dangerous treasure hunt.

More than 220 creatures like these are described in the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary, which promises to be the most impressive collection of original D20 System monsters to date. The entries that fill this weighty volume's 352 pages go beyond the atmospheric description, evocative illustration, and solid stats for which Penumbra is known, providing adventure seeds designed to inspire GMs and players alike, and extras like new gods, new spells, and new magic items. And, through a special arrangement with Atlas Games, Lance & Laser Models is planning a simultaneous release of nine custom miniatures based on the creatures of the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary. For those looking for more meat in their monsters, and more creativity in their creatures, comes the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary. "

The Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary
A D20 System Sourcebook
Edited by Michelle A. B. Nephew
Stock Number: AG3218
Price $44.95
ISBN 1-58978-030-2
Description: 352 pages, hardcover

Why not? Sounds like a good release, hopefully on par with the Monsternomicon. I could certainly use another monster book if its as good as that one.

Dragongirl

First Post
I like the idea of the wax golem, and sorta the idea of the dracoticks. Having a dangerous parasite come off the corpse of something you had a huge fight to defeat could be fun, but I don't like the breath weapon thing.

Dragongirl

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:
You would think a dragon would note it had parasites on it- most of them are just a tad high on the intelligence/wisdom scale.

FD

Heck, I knew people in school that didn't know they had parasites. :D

You don't feel a mosquito bite til it is almost done, they spit an anesthetic in so you don't feel it. Perhaps these could too.

Last edited:

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Dragongirl said:

Heck, I knew people in school that didn't know they had parasites. :D

But were they long lived students with intelligence that rates near the top of what most humans can achieve? ;)

You would think such a creature would notice itself feeling weaker- or whatever the effect these parasites have on the dragon. Possibly not in the short term, but definitly in the long term.

FD

Dragongirl

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:
But were they long lived students with intelligence that rates near the top of what most humans can achieve? ;)

Hehe I am sure you know the answer to that one.

But concerning the ticks....we are dealing with a magical world and dragons are not all knowing. It could be possible that the ticks evolved to go unnoticed by their dragon hosts. Also, it would take an immense number of parasites (at least of the normal kind) before any noticable effect would be felt.

Krug

Newshound
Or the ticks could serve a cleaning/grooming purpose.

But actually they're just a neat idea and cannon fodder for PCs. :D

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Dragongirl said:

Also, it would take an immense number of parasites (at least of the normal kind) before any noticable effect would be felt.

I got the picture from the description that we are talking about large number of these creatures.

But concerning the ticks....we are dealing with a magical world and dragons are not all knowing.

No, they are not. But in most campeigns that are powerful greedy creatures that have lived a long time due to guile and intelligence- their own health, I would imagine, would be of a constant concern.

FD

Remove ads