Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agree with everything you say about the cloak, though I don't think we need to double-up on the insanity bit (ie, making wearer insane and part of it only functions for an insane user). Let's just make it a cursed item that makes the wearer insane.

Cleon

Legend
I agree with everything you say about the cloak, though I don't think we need to double-up on the insanity bit (ie, making wearer insane and part of it only functions for an insane user). Let's just make it a cursed item that makes the wearer insane.

That works for me.

freyar

Here's a rough draft:

Cloak of Figments: The cloak of figments is a cursed minor artifact that grants the wearer spell resistance 5? and immunity to mind-affecting effects. The wearer may also summon astral figment constructs at will, up to a maximum of 25? HD in existence at one time. Unfortunately, the wearer becomes permanently insane as per the spell insanity (in campaigns using sanity rules, treat the character as having -10 sanity points).

Strong conjuration, enchantment, abjuration; CL 20th; weight 2 lbs.

Does it need anything else?

Cleon

Legend
Here's a rough draft:

Cloak of Figments: The cloak of figments is a cursed minor artifact that grants the wearer spell resistance 5? and immunity to mind-affecting effects. The wearer may also summon astral figment constructs at will, up to a maximum of 25? HD in existence at one time. Unfortunately, the wearer becomes permanently insane as per the spell insanity (in campaigns using sanity rules, treat the character as having -10 sanity points).

Does it need anything else?

I'd make the spell resistance higher than that. A 5 isn't terribly effective.

Let's see, of the SRD Magic Item list's wondrous items & artifacts a mantle of spell resistance grants SR 21, robes of the magi SR 18, a scarab of protection SR 20, a staff of the magi grants SR 23 and the shield of the sun SR 15.

I'd go for somewhere in the SR 15 to SR 20 range. The original MR 25% is equivalent to SR 17 in 1E AD&D. Of course, this is a 2E encounter so presumably it uses the "flat" MR of that system which wasn't affected by caster level.

Rather than a HD limit, I'd prefer a number and size limit like the spell animate object:

animate object said:
You may animate one Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects per caster level. A Medium object counts as two Small or smaller objects, a Large object as four, a Huge object as eight, a Gargantuan object as sixteen, and a Colossal object as thirty-two.

Something like:

As an at-will standard action, the cloak's wearer can conjure four Small astral figments or an equivalent number of larger figments. A Medium astral figment counts as two Small figments and a Large astral figment as four. A maximum of twelve Small astral figments (or equivalent larger ones) can be in existence at any one time. The wearer can dismiss any number of figments as a free action.

For the insanity bit, I would add a few provisos:

Unfortunately, the wearer becomes permanently insane as per the spell insanity as soon as they put on the cloak (in campaigns using sanity rules, treat the character as having -10 sanity points). This insanity cannot be cured or limited as long as the cloak is worn.

I'm also tempted to add:

The cloak of figments can only be removed if its wearer is dead or unconscious, in other circumstances the cloak becomes insubstantial to prevent its removal.

freyar

I could go for SR 17 or anywhere in the 15-20 range, as you like. I'm also fine with the limits you suggest and your edits to the insanity part. The bit about removing the cloak is good. Let's just break it into two sentences at "unconscious."

Cleon

Legend
I could go for SR 17 or anywhere in the 15-20 range, as you like. I'm also fine with the limits you suggest and your edits to the insanity part. The bit about removing the cloak is good. Let's just break it into two sentences at "unconscious."

How's this:

Cloak of Figments: A ragged black cloak woven from wispy strands of shadow, the cloak of figments is a cursed minor artifact that grants its wearer spell resistance 16 and immunity to mind-affecting effects. When worn, the cloak appears to be a cape formed from tiny humanoid shadow-creatures that crawl over the wearer's back and shoulders. These "creatures" are actually illusions. They constantly chatter nonsense as they transform from one monstrous shape to another.

Unfortunately, the wearer becomes permanently insane as per the spell insanity as soon as they put on the cloak of figments (in campaigns using sanity rules, treat the character as having -10 sanity points). This insanity cannot be cured or limited as long as the cloak is worn. The cloak can only be removed if its wearer is dead or unconscious. In other circumstances the cloak of figments becomes insubstantial to prevent its removal.

As an at-will standard action, the wearer of the cloak of figments can cause some "shadow creatures" to separate from the cloak and become conjured astral figments in any adjacent space. The cloak can conjure four Small astral figments or an equivalent number of larger figments. A Medium astral figment counts as two Small figments and a Large astral figment as four. A maximum of twelve Small astral figments (or equivalent larger ones) can be in existence at any one time. The wearer can dismiss any number of figments as a free action.

freyar

Astral figments are semi-illusory constructs created by the combination of powerful magic and a lunatic mind.

Is that enough?

Cleon

Legend
Astral figments are semi-illusory constructs created by the combination of powerful magic and a lunatic mind.

Is that enough?

Hmm… I'd reword it slightly and add at least a few lines of background.

How about:

Astral figments are semi-illusory beings created when an amazingly rare combination of magical forces interacts with a lunatic mind. Despite being at least partially formed from mental energy they are unrelated to the psionic entities known as astral constructs. An astral figment looks like a "solid shadow" that may literally take any shape that can be imagined. However, they are mostly shaped like nightmarish mockeries of whatever creature created them – typically a humanoid or humanoid-shaped outsider. Even maniacs tend to imagine other beings resemble themselves.

* * *​

I don't think we need to add an "In Planescape" subentry. From what I remember there isn't any special difference or information about these monsters that only applies to that setting.

So are we done?

Remove ads