Digital Telivision Conversion: Ready Yet?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Not yet. Just haven't had the time. Too many fires to put out.

Hopefully next month I'll be upgrading my entertainment center components.

Lucky for you once you buy that BIG A wide screen to use on computers you'll be set.

I on the other hand, am using cable on an old tv and as a result am paying the price of seeing HD channels on a reduced screen. I personally wish I have the money to by high def... (I was in Best Buy and saw Dark Knight blue ray on a high def screen and almost wet myself at the quality of the image).

Ranger REG

Explorer
I on the other hand, am using cable on an old tv and as a result am paying the price of seeing HD channels on a reduced screen. I personally wish I have the money to by high def... (I was in Best Buy and saw Dark Knight blue ray on a high def screen and almost wet myself at the quality of the image).
Maybe you have an enlarged prostate. :p

Wait a while. HD technology is still evolving, like PC.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And considering that dire warnings have been all of the airwaves for the last six months or so... well, the only people I have any sympathy for are those who could get analaog TV over the air, but not digital.

...and those who have been caught by shortages of the digital converter boxes...

Ranger REG

Explorer
My TV accepts a digital signal, just that we don't get a good enough signal, being in England's second city is apparently not good enough.

Using a small powered ariel, not a roof top one.

So no I don't think I'm ready, unless turning off analogue miraculously makes the signal better.
When did the UK made the digital switch?

We had some Japanese TV officials observing Hawaii making the switch, since Japan will be making the switch in 2010. Don't know if the rest of the US states are looking at us as a litmus test. Then again, over 80% of our populations are already TV subscribers (cable or dish). I'm one of the less than 20%.

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
I have cable TV. My bedroom TV is HDTV. I am somewhat disappointed by the HD channels; they are frequently out (I only have 3--including ESPN, History, and A&E--anyway).

By the way, in case anyone is confused there is a big difference between digital and HDTV. All future TV must be digital, but not necessarily HDTV.

Duskblade

Banned
Banned
Almost. I have an HDTV all picked out; I'm going to be buying it next month on the 13th. :D

And a Blu-Ray player + Ultimate Matrix Collection (blu-ray) as well. I'm so excited and I just can't hide it! :p

Jesus_marley

First Post
being a technowhore, and finally having the scratch available, I upgraded significantly to a 42" 1080p LCD HDTV and HDPVR. I still want to get the Blu-ray DVD but I'm thinking of just going the PS3 route so I can get my God of War fix as well.

I soothe my conscience by telling myself the upgrade was good for the environment since the LCD uses significantly less power than my old CRT TV.

Switchblade

First Post
My TV accepts a digital signal, just that we don't get a good enough signal, being in England's second city is apparently not good enough.

Using a small powered ariel, not a roof top one.

So no I don't think I'm ready, unless turning off analogue miraculously makes the signal better.

That's pretty much where I stand.

Got the gear.

Ain't got the signal. Any signal.

Not that the analoge signal in Swansea is particularly strong.

I only use TV for the BBC news and rugby matches, both of which can be replaced (by internet or pub respectively).

Switchblade

First Post
When did the UK made the digital switch?

We had some Japanese TV officials observing Hawaii making the switch, since Japan will be making the switch in 2010. Don't know if the rest of the US states are looking at us as a litmus test. Then again, over 80% of our populations are already TV subscribers (cable or dish). I'm one of the less than 20%.

Analoge is being switched off region by region this year. Most places it's mid to late 2009 I think.

Quite frankly I'm getting sick of the adverts informing people of the change over.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases