Forked Thread: Should players know the rules?

Waylander

The Slayer
Forked from: Should players know the rules?

Umbran said:
I don't necessarily expect a player to know all the rules for their character at the start, but I do expect them to learn those rules. Once you've played a character for a level or so, you've probably got the basics down pretty solidly, and from there the changes are incremental, and easy to pick up.

This got me thinking about how I prefer to DM/play/introduce new players and perhaps minor issues with 3.5E as I pretty much agree with Umbran.

With my gaming group we have tended to emphasise the "role"playing aspect while playing a bit fast and loose with the tactical side of combat (although combat occurs quite often). This harkens back to when we played OD&D. As such it feels quite natural for new players to pick up any rules they need to know through play.

I suppose for my personal preference I love the simplicity of OD&D and like the fact that 3.5E allows customisation of characters with skills and feats. So while Castles & Crusades "feels" right it doesn't have enough tailoring of character.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a ramble ;) I guess my question is - has anyone modified 3.5E (as far as combat, and feats associated with combat, is concerned to be less tactical). By tactical I guess I mean modified sufficently where you no longer need minatures at all . . .

Linking this back to the original post, I think that if combat were less minatures-driven it would be much more easy for new players to pick up as it they go along aswell as catering for our more freeform style of play.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Sometimes I get frustrated with a couple of my players. Granted they were new to the game when we started, but it's been 6 months and niether of them seem to know their character at all.

The female n00b is getting a little better, but the male n00b is still falling behind the class. The male n00b has a good excuse though, he's a Jock trying to fit in with the nerds to be cool.

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't mind if my players don't know the rules, but I DO mind if they don't know their characters (and by extension their characters' powers).

When I ask them "What do you want to do?", I don't expect them to tell me in 'rule-speak'. I can tell them how it works within the rules once they decide on their general actions.

Similarly, when a player seems to have a difficulty with making decisions (quickly), I tend to suggest a couple of options.

I'm also explaining some of the rules as I go along, e.g. movement during combat. But even after 4 years of playing D&D, some players get periodically confused about the basics...

Remove ads