I need quotes!

Henry

Autoexreginated
If all depends on what you can get away with:

Doc Holliday: I have not yet begun to defile myself. - Tombstone

Johnny Cage: I'm in a hostile environment. I'm totally unprepared. And I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who probably want to kick my butt. I feel like I'm back in high school. - Mortal Kombat.

And then there are certain truths that cannot be passed:

The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow. - Unknown

Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it. - Sir Winston Churchill.

I will go one extra step by pointing out the site I drew these from:

http://home.att.net/~quotations/life.html

LGodamus

First Post
Dr. Laurence j Peter wrote a book called Peter's Quotations.....all the qutations are ordered by topic and then by relevence within that topic...could be just what you are looking for.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Damn it. I can't stop myself. :p

"...for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are —
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
— Tennyson, "Ulysses" ll.59-70

"I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."
— Tennyson, In Memoriam A.H.H. XXVII.13-16

Both kind of somber, but truly great quotes, too.

Anyhow, I'm really going to try and study now...(really, here I go....off studying....book's open and everything....)

Best,
tKL

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"
-Various

"I don't know, trying is the first step towards failure."
-Homer Simpson

"You know, there are plenty of better places to look for quotes than a message board."
-Some guy on a message board.

"We're gonna cut 'cher tonkers off! We're gonna cut 'cher tonkers off!"
-Kobold battlecry.

"In the future, all of the following predictions will be proven wrong."
-Scott Adams, the Dilbert Future, Prediction 1

"He who dies with the most stuff didn't have enough hitpoints."
-Nodwick

"I attack the darkness!" or "Can I have a Mountain Dew."
-The Dead Alewives Watchtower

drquestion

Explorer
From David Fost Wallace's Infinite Jest:

"Te occidere potest, sed te edere nefas est."

Wallace translates this as "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier."

(The exact wording of both of these may be slightly off, as I'm quoting from memory)

A somewhat stricter translation would be "They can kill you, but to eat you is forbidden (in the eyes of the gods)."

I'm uncertain as to whether or not this is an actual quote from someone in classical literature, or whether Wallace just made it up.

A much cheesier, but legitimately classical quote, popularized by Erasmus:

"Festina lente," which means "Hasten slowly."

This quote is also associated with an emblem, that of a dolphin twined around an anchor.

A somewhat more elliptic quote, from Vergil's Aeniad:
"Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quicquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentis."

This is a line and a half of verse in which the Trojan Laocoon warns his people against the Trojan horse. Roughly translated, it means: "Don't trust the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks, even bearing gifts."

Theodore Williams's more poetic translation is: "Trust not this horse, O Troy, whate'er it bode! I fear the Greeks, though gift on gift they bear"

Obviously, the Trojans didn't listen to Laocoon, thus brining about the destruction of Troy. So, it serves as a warning against hubris, as well as a reminder to heed good advice.

drquestion

Neo

Explorer
I think the Kurgan ( in Highlander) put it best
"It's better to burn out than to Fade Away"

Or indeed the Pg Man from Mad Max 3 Beyond the thunderdome, who said
"No Matter where you go, there you are".

Or Froyd
"Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar"
referring to the fact that some things are just what they appear to be, for all our analyses and desire that they were otherwise.

Lewis Carroll
"Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves"
(Chapter.9 Alice in Wonderland)

Constantine Cavafy
"What shall become of us without any barbarians? those people were a kind of solution".

Earl of Chesterfield
"Take the tone of the company that you are in"
(letter to his son)

Cicero
"Salus populi suprema est lex" (means The good of the people is the chief law)

Pope Clement XIII
"Sint ut sunt aut non sint"
(means Let them be as they are or nto be at all)

R.G. Collingwood
"Perfect freedom is reserved for the man who lives by his own work, and in that work does what he wants to do".
(Speculum Mentis, Prologue)

Charles Caleb Colton
"When you have nothing to say, say nothing"
(Lacon)

William Cowper
"Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavour"
(The Timepiece)

Emily dickenson
"success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need".
(from Success is counted Sweetest)

MME DU DEFFAND
"La Distance n'y fait rien; il n'y a que le premier pas qui coute".
(Means The Distance is nothing; it is only the first step that is difficult)

Thomas Alva Edison
"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration"
(From Life ch.24)

T.S Eliot
" Teach us to care and not to care
Teach us to sit still".

"Humankind
Cannot bear very much reality"

"What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from"

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time"

"The last temptation is the greatest treason
To do the right deed for the wrong reason"

Joh Fletcher
"Tis virtue, and not birth that makes us noble:
Great actions speak great minds, and sch should govern"
(the Prophetess)

W.E. Gladstone
"You cannot fight against the future. Time is on our side"

Hippocrates
"The life so short, the craft so long to learn"
(from Aphorisms)

John Keats
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever;
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness".
(Endymion)

Karl Marx
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it".
(Theses on Feuerbach)

John Stuart Mill
"The worth of a state, in the long run, is the worth of the individuals composing it".
(Dissertations and Discussions)

Percy Bysshe Shelley
"Teach me half the gladness
that thy brain must know,
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow,
The world should listen then - as I am listening now".
(To a Skylark)

Renaissance Man

First Post
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Winston Churchill

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Imagination is more important than knowledge... - Albert Einstein

This above all: to thine own self be true. - William Shakespeare

I used to be something of a quote collector. Here are some personal favorites. A mix of wit, wisdom, and flat out goofiness (though I kept out the really inflammatory ones :) )

"You will make all kinds of mistakes; but as long as you are generous and true, and also fierce, you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her. She was made to be wooed and won by youth." - Winston Churchill

"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." - Confucius

"To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage." - Confucius

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G. K. Chesterton

"You can do very little with faith, but you can do nothing without it." - Samuel Butler

"He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god."
- Aristotle

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self." - Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

"Good can imagine Evil: but Evil cannot imagine Good." - W. H. Auden

"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed." - Francis Bacon

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Francis Bacon

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James Baldwin

"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December." - Sir James M. Barrie

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing." - Robert Benchley

"The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes." - William Cowper Brann

"The pleasure of criticizing robs us of the pleasure of being moved by some very fine things." - Jean de La Bruyère

"Those who make the worst use of their time most complain about its shortness." - Jean de La Bruyère

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." - Buddha

"Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little." - Edmund Burke

"Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises." - Samuel Butler

"In every object there is inexhaustible meaning; the eye sees in it what the eye brings means of seeing." - Thomas Carlyle

"If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep." - Dale Carnegie

"Pay less attention to what men say. Just watch what they do." - Dale Carnegie

"The Christian ideal has not been tired and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried." - G. K. Chesterton

"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it." - G. K. Chesterton

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Winston Churchill

"If a man could mount to heaven and survey the mighty universe, his admiration of its beauties would be much diminished unless he had some one to share in his pleasure." - Cicero

"Human beings are the only creatures that allow their children to come home." - Bill Cosby

"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts." - Charles Dickens

"Bold knaves thrive without one grain of sense, but good men starve for want of impudence." - John Dryden

"It's more comfortable to feel that we're a slight improvement on a monkey than such a falling off from the angels." - Finley Peter Dunne

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." - Albert Einstein

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
- Albert Einstein

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." - Benjamin Franklin

"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Kahlil Gibran

"What you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

"In a time of drastic change it is the learners who survive; the 'learned' find themselves fully equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Life is a romantic business. It is painting a picture, not doing a sum -- but you have to make the romance, and it will come to the question how much fire you have in your belly." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

"Man's mind stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

"To escape criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

"The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher." - Thomas Henry Huxley

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy

"Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind."- W. Somerset Maugham

"The real purpose of books is to trap the mind into doing its own thinking." - Christopher Morley

"I was in darkness, but I took three steps and found myself in paradise. The first step was a good thought, the second, a good word; and the third, a good deed." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Learn as if you were following someone whom you could not catch up, as though you were frightened of losing." -Confucious

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted." -Bertrand Russel

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

"If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say." -Winston from Ghostbusters

"Between saying and doing many a pair of shoes is worn out." -Italian Proverb

"Those who know others are intelligent;
Those who know themselves have insight.
Those who master others have force;
Those who master themselves have strength."
- Lao Tzu from the Tao Te Ching

"What you from your fathers have inherited, earn it, in order to possess it." -Goethe

Last edited:

Remove ads