Who was the best Batman?

Which acter best represents your ideal of Batman?

• Adam West - Batman Tv Series / Legends of the Super Heroes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Bruce Tomas - Onstar telivision spots / Birds of Prey Tv series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dick Gautier - 1970s PSA

• Micheal Keaton - Batman / Batman Returns

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Val Kilmer - Batman: Forever

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • George Clooney - Batman and Robin

• Christian Bale - Batman Begins / Dark Knight

Votes: 50 62.5%

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I think that Christian Bale has the best movies — but I firmly believe that Adam West was the best Batman in terms of line delivery/voice, with Keaton coming in second.

At the time he was cast as Batman, Val looks too young to be taken a court-ordered ward like Chris O'Donnell as Grayson.

That was 100% a problem with casting O'Donnel, and 0% a problem with casting Kilmer. Val Kilmer was the right age for Batman; O'Donnel was way too old to be playing Robin.

ssampier

First Post

Keaton was way better, although Heath Ledger blew Jack out of the water as the joker.

You're right, but....

I felt the Dark Knight was a great movie, it just didn't feel like a comic book to me. Jack's Joker seemed like an over-the-top deranged psychopath; more funny than scary. The is similar to my favorite Batman, the Animated Series.

The Ledger's Joker seemed like a real criminal mastermind; a tad too "dark" for my taste.

Klaus

First Post
That was 100% a problem with casting O'Donnel, and 0% a problem with casting Kilmer. Val Kilmer was the right age for Batman; O'Donnel was way too old to be playing Robin.
The Mouse is right. O'Donnel was too old for a Robin-age Dick Grayson.

When you decide to put Robin in a Batman franchise, you have to aim for the Father/Son vibe, showing how Bruce took the boy to his home because he saw a reflection of his own tragedy. For a modern audience, you could even establish that Bruce knew John and Mary Grayson from his travels, and adopts the boy as his son after they die.

Ranger REG

Explorer
The Mouse is right. O'Donnel was too old for a Robin-age Dick Grayson.

When you decide to put Robin in a Batman franchise, you have to aim for the Father/Son vibe, showing how Bruce took the boy to his home because he saw a reflection of his own tragedy. For a modern audience, you could even establish that Bruce knew John and Mary Grayson from his travels, and adopts the boy as his son after they die.
At Val's age at the time they shot Batman Forever, you'd have to find a 14-year-old actor to portray a proper father/son vibe on-screen.

Alternatively, they could have signed up his castmate from Willow. :lol:

At Val's age at the time they shot Batman Forever, you'd have to find a 14-year-old actor to portray a proper father/son vibe on-screen.

Which is exactly the age--or even a bit older--that a "starting" Robin should be.

There's a reason he was called the "Boy Wonder."

Now, if you want to argue about whether a grown man should be taking a young teenager into battle, that's a different story. But if you are going to include Robin, do it. Don't cast a twenty-something actor as an upper-teens character, and pretend it's all the same as a low-teens character.

Klaus

First Post
Which is exactly the age--or even a bit older--that a "starting" Robin should be.

There's a reason he was called the "Boy Wonder."

Now, if you want to argue about whether a grown man should be taking a young teenager into battle, that's a different story. But if you are going to include Robin, do it. Don't cast a twenty-something actor as an upper-teens character, and pretend it's all the same as a low-teens character.
As for the grown man taking a kid to battle, I have my versions of that dynamic. The short of it: it wasn't Batman's idea.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Barring Kevin Conroy,...
NOW that I know what he looks like, Kevin Conroy is a very good replacement to Adam West's Batman. He, out of all the choices above, is most likely to master the Bat-tusi dance. :p
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldUaT6-Asms]YouTube - Kevin Conroy On Murphy Brown[/ame]
Heck, he could make a good ... Captain ... James T... Kirk.

Remove ads