Rogue/warlock viability...

Klaus

First Post
So I have this Rogue 4 who made a pact with the Raven Queen and is aiming for Raven Herald. To spice him up a bit, I was thinking of multiclassing as a Warlock.

This is what he'd look like at 10th level:
[sblock]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Sadoc "Grukk" Cart, level 10
Human, Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Pact Initiate: Pact Initiate (fey pact)
Background: Seeker for the Lost Clan

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 17.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 16.

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 24 Will: 20
HP: 67 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics, Stealth, Thievery, Perception, Dungeoneering, History, Acrobatics, Religion.

FEATS
1: Two-Fisted Shooter
1: Quick Draw
2: Linguist
4: Pact Initiate
6: Novice Power
8: Acolyte Power
10: Adept Power

POWERS
1, At-Will: Deft Strike
1, At-Will: Piercing Strike
1, At-Will: Sly Flourish
1, Encounter: Positioning Strike (retrained to Witchfire at Novice Power)
1, Daily: Blinding Barrage
2, Utility: Tumble (retrained to Ethereal Stride at Acolyte Power)
3, Encounter: Nasty Backswing
5, Daily: Walking Wounded (retrained to Curse of the Bloody Fangs at Adept Power)
6, Utility: Ignoble Escape
7, Encounter: Rogue's Luck
9, Daily: Burst Fire
10, Utility: Peripheral Concealment

ITEMS (at 4th level)
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Dagger (12), Shuriken (20), Thieves' Tools, Reading Spectacles (heroic tier), Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (40), Cape of the Mountebank +1, Frost Short sword +1
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
[/sblock]

This is his mini:
[sblock]
mi20070104a_hunter.jpg
[/sblock]

So, with these stats, is it viable to multi into warlock? I can probably convince my DM to let my Short Sword act as a Pact Blade, so I wouldn't need a second implement. Still, my Rogue attacks would be about 4 higher than my warlock ones. But the powers are cool and would add a lot of flavor to the character (Curse of the Bloody Fangs would, for instance, summon a murder of shadow crows to peck at the target, and Witchfire would be cold instead of fire).

keterys

First Post
I assume the 10 Wis is because you really want it, cause seems like an 18 Cha would help you more and at 11th level you'd get the autobump to 10 Wis.

I'm a little dubious of the particular daily you chose (Curse of the Bloody Fangs) because, well, Implement powers vs. AC are a little rude, and you're already behind the hit scale a little... but it's definitely got coolness going on the murder of crows angle.

Evocative mini - you will be behind the power curve, definitely, but not cripplingly so. Feybite at least works nicely for setting up an action point sneak attack. You may want to find out if your DM is okay with you getting sneak attack with your warlock powers (like Witchfire) before you commit.

Especially if your DM isn't a killer DM or custom makes things for the party you should be fine.

Please note a literal interpertation of the rules defines sneak attack as a melee attack.

Perhaps a neat idea for a feat. Spellsneak "Choose a power source(other than matrial); Sneak attack can be performed w/ that power source.

idk just off the top of head

=)

Yea nice idea for character btw

On the surface it doesn't seem like it would be OP.

For one, all the warlock powers I can think of (aside from the few close bursts/blasts) would provoke O.A.

That greatly limits how often you could use SA. Remember, the way stealth operates now does not allow warlocks to be the best sneaks in the game. (you need superior cover/ total concealment to engage stealth now)

Heh, but rogues still are =)

On Puget Sound

First Post
Please note a literal interpertation of the rules defines sneak attack as a melee attack.

Perhaps a neat idea for a feat. Spellsneak "Choose a power source(other than matrial); Sneak attack can be performed w/ that power source.

idk just off the top of head

=)

Yea nice idea for character btw
Umm, no. Sneak attack requires:
Combat Advantage.
A hit with an attack that uses a a light blade, crossbow or sling.

So no melee requirement at all. However, whether a Warlock implement attack with a Pact Blade "uses a light blade" might be subject to interpretation. I would rule that it does, because otherwise there is precious little reason to use a pact blade when all those cool rods are out there.

keterys

First Post
Yeah, if the DM doesn't allow his warlock powers channeled through his light blade to count for sneak attack, then I'd say to just not do the build.

Also, you should totally use a dagger for the +1 attack with your warlock powers :)

DracoSuave

First Post
A pact blade is a legal implement. A short sword can legally be a pact blade. So no problems there. Using a weapon as an implement still allows you to apply feats and features that benefit that weapon when it is used as an implement (the swordmage is why they changed this from before).

Sneak Attack can therefore be used with warlock powers channeled through a pact blade.

Altho if you're not putting points into Int, instead of Int 13, Wis 9... I'd suggest Int 12, Wis 10. You're not raising your Int, so it doesn't need to be 13, and you're only raising your Wisdom to eliminate the penalty. Instead, put the point you don't need in Int into Wis, and that'll free up your level 8 statup so you can put it into Charisma.

Str 10, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18.

That said, your character concept is made of -awesome-.

Come to think of it, you're Artful Dodger, so strength isn't necessary.
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 18 will let you keep Linguist. I was about to suggest dumping it for Weapon Focus: Light Blade, but then I realized that Linguist is a roleplay feat and that is awesome and should be encouraged.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
A pact blade is a legal implement. A short sword can legally be a pact blade. So no problems there. Using a weapon as an implement still allows you to apply feats and features that benefit that weapon when it is used as an implement (the swordmage is why they changed this from before).

He's not using a pact blade, he's using another magic weapon his DM is letting him use like a pact blade. So... totally ask first.

That said, a dagger is probably as good as a short sword for a rogue and it's _just better_ for the warlock powers (+1 attack vs... nothing) so I would recommend switching at some point (even just with Transfer Enchantment ritual), unless you have a compelling reason not to. That and getting the Charisma to 18 instead of the Wis to 10 are the big things that stand out.

Klaus

First Post
I did a quick try-out with the Character Builder, and it adds the Rogue Weapon Talent +1 bonus to warlock attacks made with a Pact Blade!

FrozenChrono

First Post
I'd look at Warlock paragon paths to take before multiclassing into Warlock completely.

There's not a lot out right now but Arcane Power will be out next month.

Also get a dagger. +1 to hit on your warlock powers is just sexy. (you can have a shortsword too. Actually if you're looking for more AC you could pick up the parry dagger if you did.)

Remove ads