Adventure with homebrew content

Quickleaf

Legend
I just wrote my first full-fledged 4th edition D&D adventure! *whew*

Here are my rough notes transferred into a prettier format for our campaign's first adventure. I spent lots of time putting this together - I think the first session sets the tone for the rest of the campaign and really want to 'wow' my players. :)

I'm still putting finishing touches on it, and I'd love any feedback you have, the more critical the better.

Here are my design criteria for this adventure...
[sblock=Design Criteria]
* Using Stalker0's Obsidian skill challenge system. 3 round skill challenges worth encounter of PCs' level. 2 round skill challenges worth a monster of equal level to the encounter.
* When there's an encounter with a skill challenge following/followed by a combat, use the higher XP value of either the skill challenge or combat, not both.
* Have reappearing bad guys within the adventure (soldiers, elites, and solos are good for this).
* Knowlege is power, and what the PCs learn in one encounter affects their decisions in later encounters. For example, in encounter #2 the PCs learn of a nesting area of deathjump spiders the gypsy witch was trying to lead her pursuers into. Later in encounter #7 when they track down Morae (fleeing with the heir), they might recognize she's leading them into the nesting area.
* Every encounter has interesting & interactive terrain. I'm still working on this - I think it's my weakest area as a 4e GM.
[/sblock]

Here's an encounter-by-encounter overview, with homebrew content in red.
[sblock=Encounter-by-Encounter Overview]
1. The Redcoat Level 1 (XP 600)
Skill Challenge: Questioning the Redcoat (XP 600)

2. Running Witch Level 1 (XP 600)
Worg Corp Mercenary (XP 150)
5 Worg Corps Grunts (XP 200)

2 Gray Wolves (XP 250)

Interlude

3. Sir Lieverd’s Tomb Level 2 (XP 750)
3 Rat Swarms (XP 375)
Poison Oak Smoke (XP 250)
Puzzle: Magic Sigil (XP 125)
I'm re-writing this puzzle

4. Treachery Level 1 (XP 600)
Human Knight (XP 400)
Skill Challenge: Horse Chase (XP 600)

5. The Cipher Level 2 (XP 750)
Human Knight (XP 400)
Skill Challenge: Decode the Journal (XP 125)
6 Worg Corps Grunts (XP 225)

6. Through the Mists Level 1 (XP 600)
Skill Challenge: Witchlight Mists (XP 600)

7. Witch’s Gambit Level 2 (XP 775)
2 Deathjump Spiders (XP 350)
Skill Challenge: Woodland Tracking (XP 125)
False-floor Pit Trap (XP 100)
2 Net Traps (XP 200)

8. The Bastard Heir Level 4 (XP 1150)
Braseis (XP 500)
2 Worg Corps Mercenaries (XP 300)
6 Worg Corps Grunts (XP 225)
Witches’ Grave Bog (XP 125)

[/sblock]

P.S. I've cut out the monster and trap stat blocks which would violate IP rights.

Attachments

• To Heir is Human.pdf
    374.8 KB · Views: 138

Nice to see the fine art of making skill use a key part of the adventure lives on. I imagine there will be a multitude of places where this adventure is likely to run off the rails simply by its nature, but that may simply prove interesting. At worst there will be some interesting potential enemies and allies floating around.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases