Proposal: Dr. Scruples' Amazing Reality Revision Machine

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I vote NO to this. I think it's a great idea, but shouldn't be an official mechanically-supported part of the setting. If someone DM's an adventure that ends in recombobulation they should clear it with the judges first as a one-off.

ukingsken

First Post
I think the no is a good decision as far as making recombobulation part of the core-ness of L4W.

That being said KenHood as a mad scientist, recombobulating gender confused orcs into gender neutral elves kind of makes me giggle, so I would still like to see some incarnation of this idea somewhere.

renau1g

First Post
Maybe if a PC wants to have this done, they can PM Ken and see if he's willing to run this as a mini-adventure (maybe one encounter or skill challenge). It could be approved by judges the same way as a full adventure

KenHood

First Post
That's all I wanted--to let folks know it was out there, available, and get permission to use it in the setting.

This is why I dislike the proposal process. I post an idea, everybody over-reacts and treats it like a global change to the system. There needs to be some sort of "Idea If Anyone Wants to Use It" mechanism.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Yeah, I always find it strange when people post a proposal thread for a new in-character element. I think the "Proposal:" threads are supposed to be for mechanical/rules changes, or actual amendments to the charter and things.

That's the main reason I treat "Proposal:" threads as super-important global changes. If it said "Idea:" or something, I wouldn't. But I like being able to go down the list of threads, see which are full proposals from the title, and be able to check off which have passed, failed and are still under discussion. Seeing a thread marked "Proposal:" which is being used for general discussion or just noodling around makes me edgy.

KenHood

First Post
My main complaint against the proposal/idea process is the lack of questions posed by people while considering them.

I have rarely--if ever--seen anyone ask a proposer for elaboration of intent or meaning. Instead, folks jump in with declarations of support or opposal, or attempt to hijack the thread with their own take on the proposal. It's an emotional, rather than rational exercise, but the irony is if you respond to the emotional comments with a blatantly, intentionally emotional response, people get up in arms and shout that it's not appropriate.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
That's an interesting observation ... and I can't say you're wrong. I think we should all try to ask more questions, in the future. Asking questions is rarely a bad idea, after all.

Remove ads