Torrent’s Journal: One view of a campaign

kumagroo

First Post
Torrent’s Journal: One view of a campaign

New Year’s Day- I can’t say that the New Year bodes well if the first few hours were any indication. The Ragesians knew just how to hit Gate Pass when it hurt the most. After the bombardment and horror of last night, I doubt the priesthood is going to fulfill wishes from the urn, nor will there will be parade or other incarnation of the Festival of Dreams…Festival of Nightmares perhaps.

As per my instructions, I met up with those who were to help me contact Rivereye Badgerface and recover the case of Ragesian intelligence. Joven was there, of course, helpful in the extreme and the one person I probably trust with my life. The others I’m not so sure about… Milo’s reputation precedes him somewhat. After his deliverance of bounty hunters into the arms of the resistance a couple days ago, one can’t help but marvel at how honeyed his tongue must be to deceive so many. Tbe half-orc, Zane, seemed to bear no love for the Ragesians, but his likeness bears such a strong resemblance to Coaltongue, I found myself wondering if he was there in person! Then there were the dwarves: Damner acted about as personable as the granite his face seemed carved of, and the brewer, Ozrik…well, let’s just say that despite his jovial drinking, he had a, pardon the pun, “haunted” look to him.

They seemed remarkably eager to help and didn’t seem to have many questions; I never even mentioned the death of Peppin, for fear of scaring them off. (I found myself inventing a white lie for that later, but first let me write of what transpired.) Damner stood up to go directly to the depository when the hell began. The bells announcing the New Year ended and the sound of footfalls above tipped off Joven and the others we were not alone. Then there was a crash upstairs and the next thing I knew I was out in the street. It seems that a Ragesian catapult had struck the Poison Apple at the same time Black Horse mercenaries stormed the pub. A fallen timber had knocked me out, but when I came to, three of the mercs were fleeing. My new companions were having none of it. I shudder to think of what happened to the horse of their leader; between multiple ax blows, Ozrik’s guardian spirit, and even several of Joven’s arrows, the poor animal was slaughtered, depositing one Kathor Danava to the street. It was quite brutal, and adds to my sense of disquiet about the lot of them. At least they accepted Kathor’s surrender; I believe he will not trouble me or any other wizards again.

This bombardment was still continuing and pandemonium erupted into the streets. I saw both dwarves demonstrate a warmer side: Ozrik in healing a severely burnt couple through the blessings of his ancestors, and Damner in an honest, if misguided, attempt to rescue a woman from a burning building (I think a blanket may have been more productive in hindsight than catching her in his arms). The passing of a fell reptilian creature in the sky added to the hysteria, even affecting my stalwart companions as we pushed through the crowds to the bank.

Eventually we made our way into the next district. Some fellow was wailing about his lost pet, but I’m pleased to say that my companions knew their priorities and we pressed on. Once inside the bank, a shape-shifting eladrin in the guise of Rivereye confronted us and called Joven, “Peppin”. As we would learn later, he was hoping to find the means to disarm a trap that Rivereye convinced him was set on the case. A chase ensued, one that was frustrating as a glowing wisp of light aided the imposter’s escape and the eladrin magically scaled up the side of the walls. The eladrin bastard, who’s name we learned was Larion, took some hits but it wasn’t quite enough. He leapt away to a building thirty feet distant and escaped. I thought Damner was going to shatter the walls of the bank in his anger.

So, come to find out that the Shahalesti have an obvious interest in the Ragesian intelligence as well. I gave Rivereye the code phrase and he started to talk to us. Three other eladrin absconded with the case prior to our arrival and after knocking out Rivereye and three of the bank guards. One guard was burnt to death by the wisp’s gaze. But Rivereye heard mention of the eladrin plan to escape via some tunnel that leads to the Singing Chasm and with the cooperation of a contact named Shealis at Gabal’s school. It is this lead we will pursue on the morrow after we have recovered at the safe-house in the Bacchanal temple. With some new weapons in hand from one of the bank’s lockers, we departed to sleep off the remainder of the long New Year’s night. Unfortunately, though the bombardment had stopped, our evening of terror was not quite over yet…

kumagroo

First Post
Gate Pass griffon riders clashed overhead with Ragesian wyverns as we approached the first dawn of the New Year. At one point, two such rivals collided and one of the flying serpents crashed into a nearby house. The screams of a woman inside, cut off abruptly, and then followed by the cries of a child led us to investigate. While the wyvern appeared to have borne the full brunt of a crash through the home and was clearly dead, it’s rider, a half-orc in full plate, was relatively unscathed. Having just slaughtered the lady of the home, he seemed prepared to disguise himself and slip away.

We entered and the half-orc used the child as a hostage, holding the keen edge of his ax to the boy’s throat. Insults of cowardice once more left Damner’s mouth, but the dialogue that ensued only helped buy time for both Joven and Milo to scale neighboring roofs and gain a flanking position on the bastard. Hoping to knock out the boy and remove the hostage as a game piece, Zane invoked his faith and enveloped the child in a holy light, nearly killing him with the overwhelming blast! My companions were easily able to vanquish the Ragesian though I wouldn’t have wagered any one of them alone could have defeated him as he cut his way out into the street and nearly made an escape. Joven’s quick efforts kept the child, Samuel, from passing beyond death’s door and he was brought to another temple for care.

At last, we made it back to the safehouse in the Bacchanal temple. The mood in the safehouse was bleak and morose, a condition that was worsened by the playing of a dirge by Mulysa Bahrl. This just further lowered my opinion of half-orcs in general, but particularly half-orcs that see themselves as artists. How ironic, I thought, that our own half-orc, Zane, reached over and smashed the instrument into the wall, ending the music, if not exactly inspiring faith in those gathered.

After a short night of sleep, Rivereye stayed in bed recovering from his pneumonia and it was agreed that I would perform some reconnaissance on Gabal’s school while my companions would investigate a warehouse suspected of holding Ragesian terrorists. To assist in these endeavors, Buron, the dwarf who admitted us into the depository last evening, provided some gifts, hopefully not looted from the bank itself…

My companions, it would seem, had a very full day, indeed. From the descriptions I’ve heard, their entrance into the side door of the warehouse was detected by one of the guards. A pair of storm mages, preferred artillery units for the White Wyrms terrorist group, blasted away at my friends while a Mountain Pseudodragon darted in and out of combat, attempting to poison Milo. The terrorist attempts to lure my allies into pit traps were unsuccessful (though Damner grumbled a bit about that; were they being completely honest?) and after a tough fight against a force nearly double their size, the group managed to defeat the White Wyrms. Unfortunately, the pseudodragon managed to escape, but without its handlers, hopefully it will not be a future threat.

No rest for the weary it would seem. Some of the bombardment stirred up the dead in one of the neighboring crypts beneath the temple safehouse. Whether a seal was broken or Ragesian necromancy was at work, I do not know, but the two refugees who were sheltering in that part of the crypt were killed and partially eaten. Again, my new allies were able to drop the undead, but Zane and Buron both very nearly died and were in the infirmary when I returned from my scouting to report back.

My efforts revealed only a little information of use, none of it positive. (After being covered in snow, I intend on seeing a priest to avoid Rivereye’s fate as my nose is running as I write this.) The eladrin contact, whose full name is Shealis Amlauril, is a most powerful wizard indeed, having recently been raised by the school to paragon status. Apparently, she represents one of a select few who can achieve this degree of power. Despite not being well-liked by other wizards, Gabal himself enjoys her presence and she is currently researching the teleportation problems in her own apartment. I was able to speak briefly with a wizard named Diogenes, who has been tasked with watching the front gate of the school, and he did not hide his disgust for Shealis. Most notable of reasons was that she has a solon familiar. From what I gather, the wisp of light we fought in the depository “belongs” in part to her, even though this being is capable of assuming a humanoid form. Just between you and me, journal, I have to admit Diogenes sharp wit and finely pressed blue robes remind me of what I failed to find in Joven. I wonder what he thought of me?

The presence of the solon with Shealis seems to confirm Riverye’s belief that the case is now in her possession in the Gabal school. But what tact is the best to take with such a powerful wizard? Unlike Mulysa’s lute, this problem might not be best solved with brute force. But will the combination of Damner’s temper against fey, Milo’s willingness to strike from shadows, Joven’s compassion, Oz’s love of the drink, and Zane’s…well…his being a half-orc… Will this group be capable of making a coherent plan to deal with this eladrin?

(Note: We simply must come up with a name for this group…)

kumagroo

First Post
It was quite an eventful couple days. Thanks to the administrations of Oz and other healers here at the safehouse, Zane and Buron were quickly back on their feet, though Buron will be wearing his arm in a sling for awhile. On the second day of the siege, I left with Rivereye to find a former associate of his who also served as a spy in the Ragesian palace: a halfling sorcerer named Feris who may help us wrest the case from Shealis, who, Rivereye assures me, certainly must have it in her possession. The group I have joined up with, who now refer to themselves as “The Coming Storm” were to remain behind.

I guess things didn’t work out quite as planned, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. Hearing rumors that the tunnel to the Singing Chasm was nearly complete and fearing an eladrin escape, Buron begged my companions to delay Shealis by whatever means necessary. Ozric brought up a very solid idea about collapsing the tunnel, but finding it, especially given the eladrin ability to teleport outside the city walls led them to try something else. Sometime before dawn, they made their way to Gabal’s school and convinced Diogenes to let them into the complex to deal with a potentially treacherous Shealis. The plan they devised was simple: Given the growing number of anti-arcane demonstrators outside the gate, Diogenes would beg Shealis’s aid while The Coming Storm would sneak into her apartment and search for the case. A young apprentice of the school was to help them locate said case in case it was obscured by magic. To bulwark the ruse, Oz approached the gate from the inside and cried out for the rioters without to break down the gate and storm the school! He was most persuasive. Unfortunately, Diogenes and Shealis never truly got along and his ability to deceive her was over-estimated. She emerged from her quarters intent on blasting Oz into bits while the rest of the party lay in hiding.

Thinking quickly on his feet, Damner joined his fellow dwarf and Milo appeared as well, pleading to stop the violence that seemed bound to occur. Zane and Joven snuck around to the back of her quarters, hoping to use the stand-off time to accomplish their reconnaissance. They didn’t count on her solon familiar being present, however. In short, they somehow managed to pull off an alliance with Shealis and Damner calmed down the demonstrators with some ax waving and colorful threats.

By the time I ran into them with Rivereye and Feris, they had made their way into the eladrin ghetto and, despite some objections from Larion, actually received the Ragesian plans. Within the case were some writings in the infernal language of devils as well as maps for some sort of subterranean complex, none of which was understood by anyone there. Feris, no longer needed, went his own way, and the actual case itself (minus its contents) was returned to Shealis with the thought that the eladrin could draw away the Ragesians who were looking for it. Oh, one important thing to note: Ozric spoke of an imp, in the guise of a raven, that had been following them. The Ragesians have been known to make pacts with such dark beings and I’m not surprised. Hopefully, it will be thrown off the trail.

On day three of the siege, we learned that the Ragesians had submitted an ultimatum: allow the Inquisitors into the city or the bombardment would continue. After some consideration of our options, everyone concluded that our best hope for escaping Gate Pass lay in the hands of Councilman Erdan Menash, a sympathizer with the resistance. Knowing that our time was growing short, I worked on brewing more Cooling Draught potions. We should have enough to get through the forest with a little extra to account for any unwanted delays. While I wasn’t present for the meeting with Erdan, it would seem that his reputation as an eccentric fits. Hearing Joven’s account of some of the “weapons” he’s crafted, it’s a wonder the man hasn’t had his mind examined. Still, The Coming Storm pulled it off again with diplomacy, flattery, the sharing of their recent deeds, and some samples of Ozric’s Ancestor’s Ale. (Indeed, the brewer now has a very influential patron in Gate Pass. If the city isn’t razed to the ground by the enemy, he may have a strong following when he returns.) Erdan drafted a note to Captain Herreman of a cavalry division asking to help with our exit. Apparently, Erdan also gave Damner some other object called the Dianoem, to bring to Lyceum. As usual, the dwarf didn’t feel up for conversation when I asked him about it.

Another group of Black Horse mercenaries ambushed the group when they left, which makes me think they must have been spying on our beloved councilman. The fact that they obtained Gate Pass uniforms was troubling, but they were, shall we say, brought to justice… If I hadn’t met that rascal Rantle myself, I would have been suspicious of his sudden appearance after the fight. Apparently, Joven is to deliver a letter for him to some pyromancing tramp; I’ll be damned twice over if I’m going to ask him why he agreed or her name! A pyromancer…That’s about as subtle a school of magic as a warhammer delivered to the skull. But then again, Joven always likes them simple; he couldn’t be bothered with a real woman of sophistication…but I digress.

In short, Herreman is a pretty good guy, for a half-orc. He’s told us that he was going to create a false pretense for The Coming Storm, disguised as Gate Pass soldiers to be allowed out of the city for some mounted scouting. Allegedly hunting down a Ragesian necromancer or some such. Turns out he was good as his word. After stumbling upon and stopping a burglary that Feris was committing at a local alchemy shop (why would a future school headmaster rob a store anyways?), we made final preparations for our departure…and the distribution of Oz’s cache of ale he had brewed for the Festival of Dreams.

Herreman’s lieutenant and his troops met us at the eastern gate. Ominously, at the same time, a single bell rang out somewhere to the west. The Inquisitors were entering as we departed. I wonder if Erdan has left the council in disgust... After getting outside, the lieutenant warned us against riding after dark, given the risk to the horses. He directed us to go two miles down the road to shelter in an abandoned watch tower. Now all that lies between us and the Fire Forest is a stretch of 30 miles or so.

Will the Ragesians follow Shealis? I fear that while some will be diverted, their agents number many and we are probably not yet done with them. I have not yet confided with the others my own plan; I haven’t decided if I truly want to take my leave quite yet

Orryn Emrys

Explorer
This is a lot of fun to read! Certainly provides a cool perspective on the first part of the campaign. I've been chronicling my own party's experiences at LiveJournal (there are spoilers, of course)...

Please, keep it up!

kumagroo

First Post
Thanks, I will keep it going; I'll have to check your thread out too! My title may be flawed though since most of my players want to do it w/out Torrent; so "Torrent's view" might be blinded soon!

Erywin

First Post
An idea might be to create sort of a compilation of journals from the various perspectives of NPCs that the players run into. Just some food for thought. I am thinking of writing up my campaign from the viewpoint of a historian telling a story about a long ago war that changed the world to a bunch of kids/teenagers. I will hopefully post links to the stuff here.

kumagroo

First Post
Well, Joven and I are back in Gate Pass.

I know, after all I’ve written, especially the part about us working so hard to make it out of the city; you’d think that would be the last place on this world I’d find myself! Yet, here I am… Here’s what happened:

It was a couple hours until sunrise and a rider approached while ole’ curmudgeon Damner was keeping watch. Turned out to be a tiefling I’d seen around Gabal’s school (though his name eludes me right now). Shealis sent him to make sure that we’d uphold our end of the bargain sharing Ragesian secrets with the Shahalesti. He ate a little with us, not striking me as particularly friendly, but then again, seeing as how he’s part demon, he wasn’t exactly rude either. Of course, it wasn’t until folks were cozy that he sprung the other part of the surprise on us. Seems like Shealis wanted one of our group to stay with her to “guarantee” the bargain. Against all better judgment, I agreed and Joven did as well. We both understood that we’d offered ourselves as hostages, but I still worried for the safety of the band known as The Coming Storm. To assure that lines of communication would remain open, I showed the demon-spawn how to manage a Sending ritual and whispered to the others some key phrases to pick out within my message to know that I am fine.

That done, Joven and I turned back to meet Shealis somewhere outside the Gate Pass walls. We assumed, quite naturally, that we would discover the passage the eladrin had made to the Singing Chasm, but it turns out that Shealis wasn’t quite ready. With the agony of being teleported through what seemed like astral fire, we found ourselves back in the city, just on the other side of the wall. The streets were empty and my heart plummeted in realization that the Inquisitors had been admitted. Gabal’s school, Shealis explained, was semi-surrounded by a growing number of the Ragesian wizard-haters, though none risked getting too close to the gates. Despite her disdain for Diogenes, a grudging respect shown though as she explained how he had proven to one Inquisitor that his dispelling magic had no effect on a slab of masonry lifted up and then tossed at the Ragesian with arcane force. Amazing to consider that a man could be decapitated by a large rock, and even stranger and horrifying to hear that the body does fountain out blood if one’s head were to suddenly and violently get ripped off.

Our destination was a different Resistance safe house: the Temple of the Knights of the Aquiline Cross. Such strange bedfellows they would make with the cell under the Bacchanal Temple. Here, we learned of Shealis’s last minute mission: the interrogation of an Inquisitor. We began to lay out plans for the capture of one using martial force and using me as an arcane bait…just swell. I fear the protection the Ragesians put over their Inquisitors is going to make this very, very difficult. Still, how ironic would it be to inquire at an Inquisitor?!

That raven has been seen, the one that Ozric claimed was an imp. It seems to be keeping a close eye on Shealis and the case that formerly held the Ragesian plans. We shooed it away before nearing the safe-house.

I received the message from The Coming Storm. Riding out from the watch tower, they found themselves once more set upon by Black Horse mercenaries, undoubtedly led by their leader. The ambush laid out for them was sprung early and despite the usual poundings Damner seems to absorb like a dishtowel, the mercenaries are probably done for. Hard to believe but that same lieutenant at the Poison Apple pub, (Kathor was it?), was again captured and again released. Even I might not have been capable of such mercy.

That evening the Coming Storm arrived at the fledgling kingdom of Marben Diamondheart, who is apparently the third son of the king that Ozric once lived under. Suspicious that these strangers were spies, Marben had an interesting (and very convenient) method to test their integrity: He put them to work! It would seem that Milo, Zane, and the tiefling (What was that guy’s name? I’ll have to ask Shealis…) discovered that the larders had been raided by kobolds under a lazy dwarven watch. Meanwhile, Oz and Damner, being the surface-dwelling dwarves they’ve become, apparently fixed a lift system that their idiotic foreman had screwed up. I missed the opportunity to see Milo get lowered into the gear works to actually handle the repairs. As nimble as he is, I hear he came very close to losing a couple of fingers. There was some heavy drinking followed with some offers to Damner and Ozric to join Marben as advisors, but the next morning, the journey to the Fire Forest of Innenotdar continued. I wonder how Zane feels throughout this: a veritable Coaltongue look-alike, allying with Shahalesti eladrin and dwarves, killing every half-orc they encounter. He seemed all-too-comfortable with everything for my tastes. I don’t trust him.

Their journey took them to the edge of the fire forest, where they apparently met a father and daughter living in a cottage. From what I can tell from the Sending ritual, both are wizards: the former grouchy and hostile, the latter a seer or, perhaps, a lunatic. No matter the case, the group accepted their hospitality while outright rejecting the young woman’s plea to take them through the forest away from any Inquisitors. One such Inquisitor, with necromantic summoning power, accompanied by Ragesians and goblins, led an attack on the house just before the group set out, nearly killing the young woman, but The Coming Storm dispatched them prior to heading in to the Fire Forest…

lectric

First Post
This journal actually helped clear up some things in the campaign that I didn't understand! I'm getting ready to run it myself, and I was a bit confused about the nature & motives of several NPC's ... until now. Thank you!

Oh and, EN, hire kumagroo!

Last edited:

Remove ads