AD&D 3?? Perhaps some can help me find this

Daern

Explorer
I kept the red box! And the poster maps. I played 4e for a few years then I went from to DCCrpg and now I mostly run something much closer to these AD&D3 rules than 5e.
btw scruffygrognard, the cover of fiend folio is someone called Emmanuel, not Easley... just starting to check out the monster book.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I based this set of rules off of 2nd edition AD&D (monster statblocks, XP awards, treasure tables, and encounter tables). The game uses the d20 system, with bits stolen from C&C, 3rd edition, and 5th edition. The goal was to make a d20 game that somehow felt like classic (A)D&D and that could be easily used with classic AD&D and D&D modules with a minimum amount of conversion.

Daern

Explorer
Love the cover choices. My only quibble is the 2e style morale. I prefer the 2d6... might have to print this up.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Hi Daern,

I wanted Morale to be handled like other ability checks/saving throws for consistency's sake. It worked well enough BUT use whatever system you like. I'm sure that the old system (which I've totally forgotten) can easily be ported into the rules.

Desrimal

Explorer
Hey,
Sorry for the 10 year thread necromancy, but I've completed (and streamlined) the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monstrous Manual for AD&D3. They are all available at: http://www.scruffygrognard.com/
...and more thread necromancy :) I just discovered your take on d&d, and I must say that it’s pretty much exactly how I want my game to be. Thank you for this - it’s excellent work!

Does it run well with older ad&d adventure moduls? Besides the obvious AC issues, is there anything else I should be aware of? (Saving throws for example)

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I'm running some 1st edition adventures with it and, so far, it's been pretty seamless. Players are more powerful than their 1st or 2nd edition counterparts BUT still find the adventures to be a challenge. If anything, the bump in power level makes for a longer adventuring day... which is a good thing in my book.
I also use rules for spending gold to earn XP (see the attached file) in order to offset the abundance of treasure in old adventures. Since I don't use AD&D's training rules (spending gold to advance in level through training), I needed something in place to get rid of excess loot. You could also just 1/2 or 1/3 the value of all non-magical treasure found.

Attachments

• gold-for-xp.pdf
    509.5 KB · Views: 37

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
...and more thread necromancy :) I just discovered your take on d&d, and I must say that it’s pretty much exactly how I want my game to be. Thank you for this - it’s excellent work!

Does it run well with older ad&d adventure moduls? Besides the obvious AC issues, is there anything else I should be aware of? (Saving throws for example)
BTW, thank you for your kind words! I hope that you get to play using my rules and enjoy them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases