TRAILBLAZER - PDF Release - Discussion/Questions/Errata

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The question now is: if a clr10/wiz10 can cast level 9 spells of both classes, why should one choose not to multiclass? Isn't it overpowered? I mean: spellcasting is the "meat" of the wizard class, and also a good slice of the cleric also. This way one gets a huge spell list, a lot of slots and also half of the total of class features of both classes...
The multi classed character doesn't get any more slots than a single classed character.

Quoted from Page 26 of the Trailblazer book.
Characters who multiclass into another spellcasting class gain access to all of the spells on the spell list of the new class. However, although this adds considerable versatility, their spells readied and spell slots per rest are still calculated solely on their base magic bonus.​
In other words, the multiclassed Trailblazer spellcasting characters only gets an expanded spell list and additional lower level class features at the expense of higher level class features from the single class.

The multi classed character doesn't get any more slots than a single classed character.

Quoted from Page 26 of the Trailblazer book.
Characters who multiclass into another spellcasting class gain access to all of the spells on the spell list of the new class. However, although this adds considerable versatility, their spells readied and spell slots per rest are still calculated solely on their base magic bonus.​
In other words, the multiclassed Trailblazer spellcasting characters only gets an expanded spell list and additional lower level class features at the expense of higher level class features from the single class.

Yes, you're right. I did some quick calculations with a clr10/wiz10 and clr10/src10. They're extremely versatile but lack in high level spells wrt single classed characters.

A copule more questions:
1) Action Points Enhancements: Mythic Boon. Increases by 1 category the size of the die when using Mythic Strike, Mythic Smite and Last best hope ONLY. Why should I take it if with Increased action die I have the same benefit for ALL action rolls? I was considering to increase the die improvement for this enhancement, smething like 2 or even 3 categories, since it has a narrower scope

2) I read on a previous post that magic missle is a rote spell, albeit from level 3 it can target more than one creature. Am I missing some additional considerations for judging whether a spell is rote, ore is this a specific fix?

Thanks again :)

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
2) I read on a previous post that magic missle is a rote spell, albeit from level 3 it can target more than one creature. Am I missing some additional considerations for judging whether a spell is rote, ore is this a specific fix?
I made some spell sheets with reference notes for which spells were R/R/R.

My understanding was that if a spell was ever a single target then it was always rote. In other words, if a spell has a single target per 2 character levels, but the spell is a 4th level spell then (7th level caster) then won't be rote ever. But magic missile is always rote because it starts as a single target spell at the level the character gets it (1st level character).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
1) Action Points Enhancements: Mythic Boon. Increases by 1 category the size of the die when using Mythic Strike, Mythic Smite and Last best hope ONLY. Why should I take it if with Increased action die I have the same benefit for ALL action rolls? I was considering to increase the die improvement for this enhancement, something like 2 or even 3 categories, since it has a narrower scope.

As a matter of fact my copy does say "increase by 2 sizes."

simen

First Post
I've been reading through most of the pages here but not all, so excuse me if this issue has already been answered... But I wondered if you Wulf had updated the book with all the bugs/spelling errors/etc. from this thread? We are currentlty looking into playing Trailblazer, but I hate to buy a book with alot of errors. If not, then you should. And if only the pdf is updated maybe you could put it out on Lulu? There you can make your own books. I have made books there myself from PDF's that I have bought, and it works great.

Forget it, I figured it out. From reading the thread very few errors are in the printed version, and it would be easy to just use a pencil and fix them.

I hope work on monsters, spells, and core book is coming along. Good luck to you and thanks for a great book so far :)

Last edited:

jedavis

First Post
Hey, another Bound Item clarification:

If I have a +1 flaming sword, and at 7th level I pick up Bound Item and bind it, does it become a +2 flaming sword (ie, the enhancement bonus increases with no regard for special abilities), or does it remain +1 flaming, since the total enhancement bonus for purposes of pricing is already +2?

GlassJaw

Hero
If I have a +1 flaming sword, and at 7th level I pick up Bound Item and bind it, does it become a +2 flaming sword (ie, the enhancement bonus increases with no regard for special abilities), or does it remain +1 flaming, since the total enhancement bonus for purposes of pricing is already +2?

Now that I'm rereading Bound Item, it does state "numeric bonus". However, that should still take into account the item's total bonus. So a +1 flaming sword (+2 total bonus) would become a +2 flaming sword at level 9.

jedavis

First Post
Now that I'm rereading Bound Item, it does state "numeric bonus". However, that should still take into account the item's total bonus. So a +1 flaming sword (+2 total bonus) would become a +2 flaming sword at level 9.

Ah, crud. The campaign I'm playing in has just hit 10th, and nobody has anything with an actual enhancement bonus over +1 (except the Sorc's Ring of Prot +2 and the suit of +3 full plate we found but can't use), so we're well behind the enhancement bonus curve. The DM has, however, been giving out stuff like +1 light fortification spell resistance 13 breastplates and +1 ghost touch anarchic weapons, which have a pretty damn high nominal bonus but are actually only marginally / situationally better than a common +1 item; he's not a fan of enhancement bonuses, since they're boring (but hasn't been giving out reliably useful traits like Flaming, either; I guess they're also boring). So I was kind of hoping that we could use Bound to actually keep our core numbers up, as it seems intended to do, despite the fact that we're getting expensive but non-useful treasure.

Remove ads