Pathfinder 1E RPG.net ripping Pathfinder apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammael

Adventurer
I just spent an amusing half an hour browsing the RPG.net negative Pathfinder thread. Linky: [Pathfinder---] What don't you like? - RPGnet Forums

While some of the complaints are clearly idiotic (like the "problem" with 1st level clerics flooding the world with orisons, which was debunked a few posts after being made), some seem to be... quite valid.

I also just almost fell out of my chair laughing after reading some poster's flavorful descriptions of some barbarian rage abilities:

I HATE THIS STUPID :):):):)ING MOUNTAIN

GRR I AM HOPPING MAD

THIS IS THE ANGRIEST BACKSTROKE IN THE WORLD ARGH
But seriously, who in his right mind would EVER pick a barbarian rage ability that was so limited in scope?

There are more claims in that thread, but I don't want to copy/paste them here, so read on... and then maybe we can discuss some of the more valid ones.

Gorbacz

Banned
Banned
Half of the posters in that thread didn't even bother to read the PFRPG. They just read some vitriol on the Den and spread it further.

True, I do not go to that section over there as your not welcome if you do not hate Pathfinder. Trying to correct a misconception or something they just have wrong will get you dogpiled and little else.

But seriously, who in his right mind would EVER pick a barbarian rage ability that was so limited in scope?

There are things called character concepts and Backgrounds I can think of uses for every power listed and why a character may take them.

The swimming one is very easy. Raiders, and pirates come to mind right off bat."Lost to your battle rage you just jump over the side of the ship ship with the adrenalin pumping though you the water offers little resistance as you quickly make your way to the ship"

I can not tell you how useful this one have been to a barb one of my players had.

It is not about anger or being mad it's about the adrenalin rush that come with rageing. And that explains most of the powers

Sammael

Adventurer
Sorry, but no. I am all for background flavor and actively encourage it in my games (with various neat little benefits), but an ability that causes you to swim faster for a minute and then drown because you got fatigued is just silly.

I'm not questioning the flavor, which is fine. I'm question the implementation, which is not.

Rechan

Adventurer
but an ability that causes you to swim faster for a minute and then drown because you got fatigued is just silly.
Heh.

But let's face it. If you're still swimming after a minute (10 rounds), you're probably all ready boned.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Half of the posters in that thread didn't even bother to read the PFRPG. They just read some vitriol on the Den and spread it further.

100%. It's funny to read for a very short while but then just gets sad from all the 'facts' they either made up or just got flat out wrong. It's OK, everyone needs a hobby. :p

-DM Jeff

Sorry, but no. I am all for background flavor and actively encourage it in my games (with various neat little benefits), but an ability that causes you to swim faster for a minute and then drown because you got fatigued is just silly.

I'm not questioning the flavor, which is fine. I'm question the implementation, which is not.

Then you should not have done it. However without the power your in the same boat if you rage but don't have the extra ranks to swim. And for my example you can cover that distance and be out of the water well and before your out of rage

You can rage now as a free action so you can kick in the power when ever you need it. Swimming though rough water or what have ya, It does indeed fit some concepts very well

Sammael

Adventurer
Would it have killed the concept if, for example, the barbarian was able to have an adrenaline surge not just when swimming, but when performing any strenuous physical activity in general?

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
The way rage and rage powers work in the Final, the movement powers are on of the lesser problems.
As is the ability to create lots of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases