Music at the gaming table?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
can anyone recommend a good source for jungle and swamp background sounds? Like the stuff you hear at Disneyland on some rides, like crickets and frogs and sloshing water, or tropical birds and monkey howls.

For that matter, a nice gothic background soundtrack would be nice, wolves howling and such, wind blowing. Probably get that at some of the halloween stores this time of year, anyone know a good one? I'm sure the quality is all over the map on those types of things.

I haven't gone looking for them in years- mainly since I have all the ones I wanted- but there used to be all kinds of environmental sound recordings available...usually pretty cheap!

I have a couple of thunderstorms, crashing surf, gentle surf, island breeze, and even one of the Everglades at night.

A quick search revealed these:

Amazon.com: environmental sound cd
http://www.bizrate.com/environmental-music/ocean-sound/

Now, the thing to be careful about is that some of these things went all "New Age" and include music over the environmental sounds. Usually, though, they let you know that in the product description.

Last edited:

ggroy

First Post
In car chase type scenes in spy type rpg games, one DM I knew would play something like "Highway Star" by Deep Purple.

renau1g

First Post
Midnight Syndicate did an "Official D&D Soundtrack" that's actually quite good. They have also released a number of other 'gaming soundtracks', mostly aimed at the horror genre. I have "Gates of Delerium", which would be very good for the right sort of horror game (something set in an asylum, or similar). There was also a CD included in the "Sharn: City of Towers" sourcebook for Eberron, which I believe was by the same team (certainly, it's in much the same style).

I was about to mention this, I haven't heard it personally, but I heard good things about it.

Henrix

Explorer
I was about to mention this, I haven't heard it personally, but I heard good things about it.

It's ok, as background music, but not great.

It's a lot like a movie soundtrack without the parts that marks really dramatic points, which can be distracting. This also makes it bland. And, quite frankly, they're not great musicians.

Muzak for gaming.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
What about mixing up an instrumental playlist and some good Tarrantino-style classic rock / british invasion / punk? Sometimes it makes for an interesting mix. I used a bunch of rock for a one-shot game I did. It took the players by surprise but it can add a different atmosphere.

Have a bar fight? Try "Slaughter" by Billy Preston. Have a big nasty boss (Like Graz'zt), try "Putting Out the Fire" by David Bowie.

Just a thought.

The Little Raven

First Post
I use Syrinscape and build a custom soundscape for each area in my adventures that warrants one. I pull my ambient sounds and music clips from World of Warcraft and Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. Between these games, I can put together pretty much any kind of area.

In car chase type scenes in spy type rpg games, one DM I knew would play something like "Highway Star" by Deep Purple.

In modern games, I tend to put together a "movie" soundtrack for various parts of the story.

In my last modern "hunter" game, in which the PCs worked for a shadow agency dedicated to hunting monsters, I used tracks like "Magic Carpet Ride" for car chases, "The Girl from Ipanema" when they have a long elevator ride to meet with their unhappy handler, and "Fame" by David Bowie when they were attempting to negotiate with a faerie pimp.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
It may be hard to locate nowadays, but both the Hercules and Xena TV shows had soundtracks with great music for specific places and encounters in D&D-type games.

-DM Jeff

Meridius

First Post
For combat I found out that symphonic metal (Turisas) tends to work for my group... But that is provided you and your gamers like metal in the first place ;)

Usually I have one of my players who hosts us in his room play music, usually low volume from a random play-list. Sometimes it gets drowned out, but sometimes I ask of him for a certain mood of music.

I've thought about adding my own more suitable music, but that's something for when I host my game at home eventually.

One thing that comes across as hard to do is combat music LENGTH. I can barely cram a single round into a single 4 minute song. And since I tend to favour fairly large battles I would need a LOT of music.

Remove ads