Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Gohei: 9th level Wu Jen, master of air (AC 10 (+1); MV 9”; hp 30; #AT 1(2); THAC0 18; Dmg 2-5 or 2-7; S 8, I 16, W 14, D 15, C 15, Ch 6; ki: +3 to initiative roll, maximum effect of one spell)

The original 1E AD&D version of the Wu Jen had their own version of the Elemental Mastery, Sudden Action and Taboos SQs described above. They also had an additional ki power as follows:

At 4th level a wu jen gains his second ki power—the ability to summon massive magical energies. This allows him to cast any one spell that is three or more levels lower than the wu jen's level, at maximum effect. The spell automatically has maximum range (if desired), duration, and effect. Thus a 4th-level character can cast a 1st-level spell at maximum effect.

I guess we should also give the Child the AD&D Wu Jen's ability to maximize a single spell. The following ought to do:

Spell Maximization (Sp): Once per day the Screaming Child can cast a single spell that is maximized as though using the Maximize Spell feat.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, that all looks good! We should keep in mind to mark any Air descriptor spells.
Somehow it seems like the scream should have some kind of mechanical effect, given the monster name and all.
Want to deal with the spells and associate abilities or the rattle first?

Cleon

Legend
Well, that all looks good! We should keep in mind to mark any Air descriptor spells.

Agreed. It'll be easy enough to tag the Air spells with an .

Somehow it seems like the scream should have some kind of mechanical effect, given the monster name and all.

Yes, the Veiled Maidens, Paper Warrior and Shadow Walker all had abilities connected to their names.

Hmm… it may be related to the Child's spell selection since it has shout, wind breath and steam breath.

If it bothers you we could always give it some sort of scream-related Special Attack or spell enhancing ability.

Want to deal with the spells and associate abilities or the rattle first?

Let's do the spells stuff first. That's the Screaming Child's preferred method of attack.

freyar

OK, after a long break, typical spells prepared:
0th level -- detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, read magic ??
The original first level spells are
chameleon, drowsy insects, elemental burst, magic missile, shield
so maybe
1st level -- burning hands, disguise self, magic missile, shield, summon monster I ?
I tried to go with thematic matches, since mechanical ones aren't really available in the SRD.

Cleon

Legend
OK, after a long break, typical spells prepared:
0th level -- detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, read magic ??
The original first level spells are

chameleon, drowsy insects, elemental burst, magic missile, shield

I'll have to check my 1E Oriental Adventures but from what I remember drowsy insects is its equivalent to sleep.

As for chameleon, it's pretty much the same as the SRD's chameleon psionic power. I'd be tempted to rework that into a spell.

so maybe
1st level -- burning hands, disguise self, magic missile, shield, summon monster I ?
I tried to go with thematic matches, since mechanical ones aren't really available in the SRD.

The 0 level cantrips look fine.

Not sure about the 1st level's disguise self, the Child doesn't strike me as someone who'd favour that spell.

Maybe ventriloquism? At least that could fit the Screaming Child's theme of "noise".

Thinking it over, I'd prefer the "new spell chameleon" idea.

As for summon monster I. I would accept monster summoning since it's so adaptable but still recall sleep being a close match to drowsy insects.

Bear with me for a moment…

Yes I was right, here's the spell description:

Oriental Adventures (1985):
This spell summons a small cloud of stinging and biting insects any where desired within the spell range. These insects swarm around all those in the area of effect, unless they are protected by fire, cold, or smoke. Although the stings and bites cause no damage and are hardly felt, all those swarmed must make a saving throw vs. poison. If the save is successful, the spell has no effect on that creature. If the saving throw is failed, the creature instantly falls into a light slumber and remains asleep for 2d6 rounds unless awakened The victim wakes up when shaken, struck, or otherwise disturbed. Loud noises such as fighting have a 50% chance of awakening the character and actions such as shouting in his ear certainly will. The material component for this spell is a live honeybee or stinging insect.

So how about burning hands, magic missile, shield, sleep and either chameleon or ventriloquism.

freyar

I can go for
1st -- burning hands, magic missile, shield, sleep, ventriloquism

I don't much fancy writing a new spell for these. They're enough work already!

Second Level: smoke shape, stinking cloud, wind breath
Hmph. We need 5 spells, stinking cloud is 3rd level, and the other two are not SRD. Well, we should go with gust of wind for Air Mastery, and fog cloud should work for stinking cloud. Hideous laughter and shatter may go with the screaming schtick. How about resist energy as a utility combat spell?
2nd -- fog cloud, gust of wind, hideous laughter, resist energy, shatter ???

Cleon

Legend
I can go for
1st -- burning hands, magic missile, shield, sleep, ventriloquism

Those work for me.

I don't much fancy writing a new spell for these. They're enough work already!

Spoilsport. :p

Hmph. We need 5 spells, stinking cloud is 3rd level, and the other two are not SRD. Well, we should go with gust of wind for Air Mastery, and fog cloud should work for stinking cloud. Hideous laughter and shatter may go with the screaming schtick. How about resist energy as a utility combat spell?
2nd -- fog cloud, gust of wind, hideous laughter, resist energy, shatter ???

I have no objection to that selection.

Updating Screaming Child Working Draft.

Okay, for the 3rd level spells the original has haste, protection from missiles, steam breath.

How about fireball, haste, stinking cloud plus one other.

Now protection from arrows is a 2nd-level spell, so we could do that with a 1-level metamagic boost (i.e. extended) although obviously that would require us to give the Child said metamagic feat!

My preferred solution would be swapping one of its current 2nd level spells (probably shatter) for regular protection from arrows and giving it a different 3rd level spell. Either that old standby dispel magic or something more interesting like blink, sleet storm, vampiric touch or wind wall.

freyar

I'd be ok with replacing shatter by protection from arrows.

Let's go with fireball, haste, stinking cloud, vampiric touch. That feels right somehow.

At 4th level, the original has dancing weapon and shout. Shout works just fine, but the closest SRD spell to dancing weapon would seem to be spiritual weapon, which is a cleric spell. Maybe fire shield or black tentacles instead?

Cleon

Legend
I'd be ok with replacing shatter by protection from arrows.

Let's go with fireball, haste, stinking cloud, vampiric touch. That feels right somehow.

Works for me!

Updating Screaming Child Working Draft.

At 4th level, the original has dancing weapon and shout. Shout works just fine, but the closest SRD spell to dancing weapon would seem to be spiritual weapon, which is a cleric spell. Maybe fire shield or black tentacles instead?

Of those two I prefer black tentacles. Shall I update with "black tentacles, shout"?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases