Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
On CR, it probably is reasonably compared to a bodak or mohrg (though it has way more SAs). So CR 8 is probably reasonable.

For rejuvenation, he crumples into a ball of paper (maybe then decaying to dust?). Then a sword charm appears like for all the others.

Whew, this is taking a long time.

Cleon

Legend
On CR, it probably is reasonably compared to a bodak or mohrg (though it has way more SAs). So CR 8 is probably reasonable.

Yes, I'm happy with CR 8.

Being able to cast spells as an 8th-level cleric and fold a pair of origami creations AT THE SAME TIME is quite effective, I might even see it being CR 9.

For rejuvenation, he crumples into a ball of paper (maybe then decaying to dust?). Then a sword charm appears like for all the others.

It doesn't actually say the Paper Warrior literally turns into a ball of paper, the description is "there is the sound of crumpling paper as he collapses into a ball".

As for the sword charm, we have "Within a drawer in his desk there is a prayer cloth with two cure disease and three cure serious wound spells. There is also a box of eight pen nibs, but one is really a katana charm that fits into the medallion."

So how about:

Rejuvenation (Ex): The Paper Warrior cannot be destroyed through simple combat. If "destroyed" its body and equipment collapses into a ball with a loud rustling like paper being crushed, following which its remains crumble into ash at the slightest touch. A pen nib shaped into a small sword-shaped charm pendant simultaneously appears concealed somewhere nearby (typically in a writing case mixed with normal pen ribs). Finding this concealed item requires a DC 15 Search check or DC 25 Spot check.

The following night, the Paper Warrior reappears at full strength at whatever place it haunted and the sword charm vanishes. The Paper Warrior can only be destroyed permanently if its sword charm is destroyed before it rejuvenates. A typical sword charm is a Fine sized object with 20 hp, hardness 12, and break DC 24.

Whew, this is taking a long time.

Yup! At least we only have two left.

Upon reflection, I'm wondering whether we should add "Some sword charms require a special procedure to destroy." to end of all the Rejuvenation entries.

freyar

That Rejuvenation ability will do it, though I just like the idea that he actually turns into paper. :p

About special destruction procedures, I think I'd leave it as is unless one of the last two has a special requirement.

How do we want to do tactics now that he can fold and move? Starts by casting and folding 2 origami or else folding 4, then moves into melee range?

There's nothing about height or weight in the original. Should we make him a bit taller and heavier than the Shadow Walker since, you know, he's not so shadowy?

Cleon

Legend
That Rejuvenation ability will do it, though I just like the idea that he actually turns into paper. :p

I have no objections to tweaking the second sentence to make it read more "paper like".

How about:

If "destroyed" its body and equipment collapses with a loud rustling sound, leaving a crushed ball of paper-like remains that crumble into ash at the slightest touch.

About special destruction procedures, I think I'd leave it as is unless one of the last two has a special requirement.

No objection to that.

How do we want to do tactics now that he can fold and move? Starts by casting and folding 2 origami or else folding 4, then moves into melee range?

I would think it prefers to cast spells and fold origami from a distance while using its creations to tie up its enemies and defend against their attacks.

Engaging in melee seems more like the Paper Warrior's final/emergency option than something it aims to do early in a battle.

There's nothing about height or weight in the original. Should we make him a bit taller and heavier than the Shadow Walker since, you know, he's not so shadowy?

Taller is fine. I'm not so convinced about the heavier. There's no mention that the Paper Warrior's heavily built.

If the Shadow Walker's weight bothers you I'd be more inclined to lower it to, say, 160 pounds.

Speaking of weight, upon reflection I might like The General to be heavier since it's a muscular warrior type.

How about using the following for the three of them:

The General stands 6 feet tall and weighs 195 pounds.

The Shadow Walker stands 5 feet nine inches tall and weighs 160 pounds.

The Paper Warrior stands 6 feet tall and weighs 175 pounds.

freyar

That destruction text looks fine.

Tactics: The Paper Warrior uses its origami creations to harass his enemies and defend himself while casting spells. He enters melee only when pressed, making ample use of his quill pen's confusion effect.

Those heights and weights are all fine.

Cleon

Legend
That destruction text looks fine.

Good oh! I'll include the changes in this update.

Tactics: The Paper Warrior uses its origami creations to harass his enemies and defend himself while casting spells. He enters melee only when pressed, making ample use of his quill pen's confusion effect.

The Paper Warrior is an "It" not a "He". I've tried to consistently describe the Seven Swords as sexless since they're undead (except for a few bits of description where they appear human.

That reminds me, I need to correct a few "his" and "hes" in the previous conversions.

I'm not sure about the "ample use of his quill pen's confusion effect."

As far as ample use goes I think it'd better apply to its origami ability.

How about…

The Paper Warrior makes ample use of its origami creations to harass enemies and defend itself while casting spells. If forced to melee it tries sowing chaos among its attackers with its quill pen's confusion effect.

Those heights and weights are all fine.

Updating the Paper Warrior Working Draft.
Updating the The General Working Draft.
Updating the Shadow Walker Working Draft.

freyar

Hmm, I thought standard usage was gendered pronouns with undead from known progenitors. But "it" it is!

Your proposed tactics look good. Same languages as perhaps the General or maybe not quite as many (like the Shadow Walker)? Do you have some additional background text in mind?

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I thought standard usage was gendered pronouns with undead from known progenitors. But "it" it is!

I started out the Seven Swords background text as genderless so continuing that way seemed simplest.

Your proposed tactics look good.

Updating the Paper Warrior Working Draft.

Same languages as perhaps the General or maybe not quite as many (like the Shadow Walker)? Do you have some additional background text in mind?

Since the Paper Warrior seems a "scholarly type" it might have more languages than the General, not less.

freyar

Hmm, fair enough. Same languages as the General, then? Int isn't higher, so I'd be reluctant to add more. Maybe Celestial if you really like.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, fair enough. Same languages as the General, then? Int isn't higher, so I'd be reluctant to add more. Maybe Celestial if you really like.

How about we give it the same number of languages as the General but swap one of them for Celestial - maybe the Undercommon?

i.e.:

The Paper Warrior stands 6 feet tall and weighs 175 pounds. It can speak Celestial, Common, Draconic and Infernal.

Remove ads