Garrote Questions

KenHood

First Post
Assuming that Tonk makes level 2 from the XP in Joe's game, I'm considering the Garrote Training feat. However, I'm wondering about how the garrote functions with rogue powers. If my character uses a rogue power and hits with a garrote, does the garrote automatically 'grab' as part of the hit?

Kalidrev

First Post
Nope, no auto grab. You can use it like a light blade in respect to any melee attacks, AND if you already have an enemy grabbed, you can (I believe) maintain the grab while using your rogue powers with the garrote.

KenHood

First Post
Wait! What's that flushing noise? It's all my dreams of garrotes going down the toilet!

Oh, well...

Time to look at some other feats for the Tonkster.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Gotta agree with Ken here. Garrotes should be a grab/attack combo. Attack bonus should be lower than a normal grab though, or perhaps based on dex rather than strength (but that would actually benefit a Rogue. We can't have that ;)).

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Yeah. The idea is that you grab, dealing damage, but the question was whether or not combining the garrote with another Rogue at-will power would automatically grab the target.

The answer is no. The garrote can only be used as a grab attack. It seems that subsequent damage can only be inflicted with further grab attacks unless you have training. The initial attack, however, looks like it must be a grab action in either case.

Concerning the line in Garrote Training that says, "If you are a rogue, you can use the garrote with the Sneak Attack class feature and any rogue melee attack power that can be used with a light blade." IMO this means that once you have grabbed the enemy, you can use the garrote in combination with SA or any other rogue at-will power to inflict further damage and effects. This is actually pretty powerful since the feat also penalizes escape attempts and grants CA for the duration of the grab.

Is this right?

KenHood

First Post
Yeah. I know about those. When I first considered garrote, I assumed that it automatically provided grabs with any hit. On re-reading the description, it looks like it inflicts damage with grabs, and that's it. Not much use for things I'd planned, like attacking with a riposte strike and choking the bejeebers out of a bad guy each time he tries to fight back.

Since that's out, I reckon it's a toss-up on the feat...
Light Shield Proficiency (+1 AC and Reflex) or...
Thirst for Battle (+3 initiative, +1 healing surge)

As much as I dig the +3 initiative, it doesn't seem much advantage when playing Mal Malenkirk rules in combat.

Considering Tumble (shift 3 squares per encounter) or Fleeting Ghost (move full speed for Stealth) as the utility power.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I don't know Ken. It looks like your garrote is limited until you get the feat, but once you get the feat it's pretty powerful.

Of course, Grab is a strength attack, which sucks for a rogue, but once you do grab the enemy, he's pretty much a gonner, because you can use your at-will powers with SA damage and CA to hit. Pretty nasty.

I still think it's better than taking one of the other two feats and waiting until 3rd level to get the multiclass feat

Remove ads