Dark Sun: Lack of Water not as important as Lack of Fuel?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Mummies.

Athas is dry as hell, so mummifying dead should not be terribly difficult. Sure, they won't have enough all the time, but it happened In The Real World.

Brad

Slander

Explorer
I hear that most forms of defecant are flammable.
Provides for sanitation, I guess.

... and the processing plants are run by old halflings set atop leather armored muls, eh? Who runs Bartertown?

(un)reason

Legend
I thought Dark Sun was a low-magic setting. I guess it depends on who is running the forge; templars could probably summon elementals and run the thing, getting a percentage of the profits. But I don't think elemental priests are common enough in cities for that to work well.

Low magic, but ubiquitous psionics. I'm sure there are enough pyrokineticists out there willing to use their power for profit like this. They wouldn't even need fuel, and could work metal with a precision impossible to mundane blacksmiths, especially if there was also a telekinetic on the team.

But wouldn't they keep running out of power points?

Admittedly, this is bad 2e memories, but IIRC psionic powers with maintenance costs in 2e generally sucked. A lot. A flame spell that lasted 1 minute/level (say, 3 minutes for a 3rd-level fire cleric) could be cast multiple times a day, while a pyrokineticist would be lucky to last 3 minutes period.

I wonder how Psionic "Rituals" work in 4e.

Last edited:

Remove ads