Making Maps

Byronic

First Post
So, I decided to venture into the world of online gaming, downloaded maptools, downloaded a heck of images etc, and came towards a little problem.

I really haven't a clue how to build village, city, forest or an kind of map of map in maptools really. I can fiddle around with the images and plonk them down but really it looks more like a two year olds temper tantrum then a map.

So how do you make a good map?

Is there a good archive somewhere where I can simply steal some?

Is there a program out there with better tools then maptools (when it comes to making the maps). I've heard good things about , cartographer 3 is it easy to make a decent map in there (buildings and such)?

Any good guides online for making a decent city?

Garmorn

Explorer
So, I decided to venture into the world of online gaming, downloaded maptools, downloaded a heck of images etc, and came towards a little problem.

I really haven't a clue how to build village, city, forest or an kind of map of map in maptools really. I can fiddle around with the images and plonk them down but really it looks more like a two year olds temper tantrum then a map.

So how do you make a good map?

Is there a good archive somewhere where I can simply steal some?

Is there a program out there with better tools then maptools (when it comes to making the maps). I've heard good things about , cartographer 3 is it easy to make a decent map in there (buildings and such)?

Any good guides online for making a decent city?

I own Campaign Cartographer 3 (CC3). There is a very good tutorial on U-tube on how to use the tools and there are dozens of examples. They have a excellent forum that is very helpful. Heck just trying to get you a nice link led me to a thread on city design.

Here is the ProFantasy Community Forum - Some more CD3 cities link to it.

Campaign Cartographer by the way is not a bit map or similar type program. It is a specialized CAD interface on top of a full vector based CAD program written for CC3 if I am understanding the technical stuff right. It is huge and constantly growing. Of course it is also expensive.

If you are interested go to their site. Down load their viewer and some sample maps and see what the program can do.

Slander

Explorer
It depends on what kind of map you are trying to make.

Maptool is geared to be the platform you'd use to host an online game. In terms of the maps it creates, it is not a stricly CAD program, or an art program, though it has elements of both. It's mapmaking strength is in replicating the type of map you would draw out on your typical battlemat. Granted, of course, the maps will typically look better because you'll be able to use some high quality art, lighting effects, and vision blocking effects when you do.

If you are looking to create a map as a handout, or as a 'setting map', then you would want to look at CC3 or the like. A greate resource for these types of maps, aside from the aforementioned, is http://www.cartographersguild.com/

Byronic

First Post
Thanks everyone for the good and swift replies so far :)

I'm hoping to create better battlemaps for my players online. But I seem to be having trouble making nice ones in maptools (which is funny because I'm not bad at photoshop and some other art programs)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong

I'm hoping to create better battlemaps for my players online. But I seem to be having trouble making nice ones in maptools (which is funny because I'm not bad at photoshop and some other art programs)

There are some very good mapmaking tutorials for Photoshop at the Cartographers Guild. B-)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com

If you have Photoshop and some skill with it, I would suggest that you increase that skill as it will serve you well in gaming and beyond. Aside from the aforementioned tutorials on mapmaking, I personally recommend checking out the Photoshop tutorials at Lynda.com. They have a 24 hour free trial offer if you want to look into them further -

Learning ® Your Own Pace®

Remove ads