WotBS How easy is it to run 4e WotBS if you've never DM'd 4e before?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Title says it all. I'm a D&D seasoned vet with 20+ years of experience. I'm very interested in running WotBS for my solo player, but I haven't played or run a single game of 4e. Should I "cut my teeth" on something easier before diving into a massive campaign arc, or just learn by doing?

Last edited:

DragoonLance

First Post
I'm guessing from the question that you have DMed another game before? Honestly 4e is a joy for me to DM after having run several other systems, it's really built around ease of designing. New monsters, encounters, spells/powers, etc can all be done with far, far less work than it could in 3rd. A lot of the work can be generated very quickly, leaving more time for tweaking or whatever you actually enjoy. (The one DM I know that actually liked creating monsters and NPCs in 3e dislikes 4e for this reason.)

From what I've read on here WotBS could use a few tweaks here and there, but overall it is very solid, I wish there were more campaigns like it. About the only other campaign I would consider running with my group would be a 4e conversion of Red Hand of Doom, and that for a more hack and slash group. WotBS looks like a very nice balance of combat and role playing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotBS is geared more towards experienced DMs than, say, WotC's module offerings. The modules don't hold you by the hand so much, have more allowance for variation, and have more complex plots and relationships between individuals and factions; added to that, they're less morally black-and-white than WotC's offerings.

If you've DMed any verison of D&D before, all the above should be fine for you (these aren't rules or mechanics related things).

Whenever playing a new edition for the first time, it's a good idea to do a test run of the rules so that you don't start off a campaign on a bad foot. When I started my first 4e campaign, I got all sorts of stuff wrong, combat took forever, and the players looked bored.

Having a pre-made campaign should make things easier, since you don't have to worry about poorly designed encounters. However, if you're running for only one player, I'm not quite sure how to balance the campaign, since I believe it assumes a party of 4 or 5.

Either way, make sure you grok 4e before you jump in. Some changes from 3e might stick in your craw for a bit, but I've found that most players really like 4e. It was just me, as a 3e DM who loves to tinker with rules, that disliked the PC options. The DM side of 4e is kind of glorious. So easy to run.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Before I comment, I should point out that I haven't actually started DM'ing it yet. That's next week :)

From my prep work, though, I think edition doesn't play a big part in how easy or hard it is to DM. From the module standpoint, I think it's definitely on the hard end of the scale to DM. It has a lot of things going on at once and a lot of things to remember. I'm finding I have to create a lot of visual cues to remind me of certain little things to avoid burying my head in the text for half the game.

Things like tactics changing from round to round, or complex interactions with the environment or NPC's, or changing conditions of battle, or added terrain features, or additional combatants or just complex tactics that require being on the ball, certainly make it a challenge to DM.

Of course, this is what also makes it interesting. Of the six combat encounters I've prepared for so far, none are very static or simple slug-fests.

On the mechanics side, there is some wonkiness in the 4e monsters. I've changed a fair few of them to fix what I perceive as being either under or over powered, or simply just dull. I think a lot of the monsters could've been made more dynamic or interesting. I definitely get the sense that these monsters were created early on in the introduction of 4e as they seem to be very reminiscent of their 3.x counterparts.

Then again, I haven't even prepped the entirety of the first module so take my opinion with a grain of salt. For the most part, I think you'll be fine given your experience. Just do your prep work and have lots of sticky reminder notes :)

Nebten

First Post
I think a bigger concern is the fact that you plan on running this for a solo player. WotBS is not made to be ran with only 1 PC. 4th ed, I feel, is harder to play with just 1 PC / 1 DM, unless you tailor the game to be made that way had make other NPCs that either you or the player run. WotBS would need a lot of modifications to be ran solo and I feel by doing that, you & your player are going to miss out how truely epic this campaign is.

I definatly recommend some other modules to cut your teeth before getting involved with this bad boy.

sfedi

First Post
I also recommend running another adventures to get comfortable with 4E.

The Chaos Shard series is a good one to start.
Lots of short, simple adventures.

Daern

Explorer
You know, I think running it for one player might actually work alright. Of course you'd have to drastically change all the combats, but given the opportunities for negotiation and the strong story, it might actually be really great in the hands of a good DM, 4e or whatever. The thing is that there is so much more plot in this one than in things like Chaos Scar, and one on one games tend to focus alot more on plot since combat is so dangerous...
Definitely take a que from the "Dark Awakenings" dungeon adventure and make combats mostly minions.

John Doom

Explorer
I have barely ever DM'd, and never before with 4th. WotBS is my first dance in the 4th Edition DM song, and so far I'm loving it.

My group is really enjoying the story and their interactions in this world. I recommend fully utilizing the EN World support forums to ask any/all questions you may have before running your sessions.

Blackbrrd

First Post
With 20 years of experience you shouldn't have a problem it as your first 4e campaign.

Since you WILL be changing ALL the combat encounters, you should test yourself by building some combat encounters to run with your player before you start playing. That way you will have a much better idea of how you have to modify the encounters to make them work for you.

Personally I think WotBS will be a great module to run with fewer players than normal, I would probably prefer running it with 3-4 players due to all the rpg situations, but I am stuck with 8 players. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases