[MONSTERS] Stat Block Preview - brought to you by the letter A!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
What about doing something like all the mundane Animals collection as free downloadable content? Kind of option 1, but the content isn't really being dropped, just getting an alternate release.

Just about all the content will be available in PDF, regardless. So it won't necessarily be "gone" gone.

But I need to know what folks want to see in hard copy.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I like my books readable, but more than that if I'm going to use the book at the table for a reference I'd like it to be able to go down flat when opened. I'd like the cover to not curl up after being used once.

That said, what I see myself doing more likely is grabbing the hard copy when I'm need to do my research for what to use and comparing alternatives. Then going to the a .pdf to print out the beasties I'm most likely going to need at the table for that session.

So I'm okay with a biblically thick tome I can flip through quickly as long as the .pdf will print out highly readable sheets.

So that's probably one guy's unhelpful opinion . . . :D

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
That dire ape looks so sad! :(

Maybe he's sad because he's spent hours and hours doing monkey work, like trying to track down stealth errors like comma and semicolon usage or wondering why the bat has low-light vision in his senses entry and the dire bat doesn't.

That's the kind of sadness that even cracking open a shinbone and sucking on the marrow won't fix.

(New prescription: Cracking open a pint and sucking that down.)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I see myself grabbing the hard copy when I'm need to do my research for what to use and comparing alternatives. Then going to the a .pdf to print out the beasties I'm most likely going to need at the table for that session.

So I'm okay with a biblically thick tome I can flip through quickly as long as the .pdf will print out highly readable sheets.

So that's probably one guy's unhelpful opinion . . . :D

Actually it's very helpful.

It has always been my intent for the PDF to be the working GM's primary reference: find exactly the monster(s) you need for the session, print him out on a single page.

EDIT: For the record, we have 582 monster statblocks, and that number does not include the custom creatures from patrons.

Of course that 582 includes 120 statblocks for dragons alone (10 "colors" x 12 age categories).

Not all monsters need a full page; but some monsters (the aforementioned dragons, and some demons/devils) might require a two page spread. All things considered I think it's safe to assume an average of 1 page per monster.

Then add in the content from the other chapters...

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Had you considered putting in the Monsters XP Awards/Cost values for each creature at least in addition to the CR value?

There is space for it, and it would save having to reference the table to discern what a particular CR gives for XP.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Had you considered putting in the Monsters XP Awards/Cost values for each creature at least in addition to the CR value?

There is space for it, and it would save having to reference the table to discern what a particular CR gives for XP.

Absolutely. It will be there. But it comes under the heading of, "Content that Ben will be adding..." which is why you're not seeing it... yet.

I'm going to attempt to fix CR down to fractional values as well-- there's enough room in the XP bands to pay a different value for a CR4, 4.25, 4.5, 4.75, and CR5 critter. It gives the GM a little more granular control over Encounter Budgeting.

There's a new PDF file attached to this post, if you'd like to check out what 6x9, single column looks like.

Attachments

• MM 6x9 test.pdf
    462.9 KB · Views: 185

ValhallaGH

Explorer
That 6x9 is ... clunky to me. Of course, that sort of aesthetic evaluation is greatly affected by my current mood (not great), so take it with a tablet of salt.

The 8x10 looked pretty sweet, though.

AdmundfortGeographer

Something struck me.

That 6x9 looks like it could fit on a 4x6 note card very well if printed . . . Sure it would come out with type on the smaller side, obviously, but I think it could be big enough it would be fine to read.

Hmm.

Remove ads