Future of D&D Miniatures

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm feeling very out of touch; I managed to miss some major announcements about the future of D&D and the D&D Miniatures line. Oh well, I'm catching up now.

Source: Wizards, through the coverage of their seminar by Living Dice:

Later in 2010, the Lords of Madness miniature set will be released. It won't have a visible miniature in it, instead being fully random, and consisting of 1 Huge miniature plus 5 other miniatures per pack.

The big feature of this set is it will be the *only* set of (random) D&D Minis in 2010, and they'll be going forward with the one set/year from now on - or until they change their minds.

Of course, they're doing other non-random sets for specific customers, such as the gargantuan Orcus miniature ($75) which will be released to hobby shops only; and there's also the Beholder pack release coming up (not mentioned in the seminar, but talked about by Bill Slavicsek in his Ampersand column).

Cheers!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Also, with less miniatures being produced, WotC won't provide any more minis with demo packages. Both the last Game Day and the D&D Encounters' kit have tokens for PCs and monsters.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
As long as it's a huge set, I'm good with one set/year.

I have plenty from previous sets, so all I'm looking for are monsters that haven't been done yet.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
As long as it's a huge set, I'm good with one set/year.

I have plenty from previous sets, so all I'm looking for are monsters that haven't been done yet.

The same. Unfortunately, with one set/year, it's likely it'll be full of ones that *have* been done before - goblins, kobolds, orcs. Those sorts of things - because there'll be no always-in-print introductory set.

What they're doing for the Dungeon Tiles is really nice: master sets which are always in print, and then limited releases of speciality tiles.

Cheers!

darjr

I crit!
A master set of miniatures would be cool. Now only if I could decide what would be nice to have in such a set.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
A master set of miniatures would be cool. Now only if I could decide what would be nice to have in such a set.
There's an opportunity to tie in with the D&D Essentials line - provide miniatures for all of the "classic" monsters included in the Monster Vault and other such products.

The Monster Vault will already have tokens for them, but still.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Perhaps.

I guess that the problem with D&D plastic minis is the same that was experienced with lead and pewter minis generally in past decades.

These products last a long time - they don't just "go away". And they often get resold.

At a certain point, the market becomes so saturated, it is difficult to get people excited about them. They have enough and when they want more - they go to resellers for their plastic, not boosters and cases.

I expect the mini market will come back again at some point. But it will be a while.

For now, I'm buying Star Wars minis in the secondary market and enjoying them for use during RPG play. Great product.

I'm just glad I have just about all the minis I need for my D&D game. I think I have about 2,000 DDM's so I have most of my bases covered when it comes to monsters.

One thing I really hope to see is the remaining 2 Huge Chromatic Dragons. We still need a Huge Blue and a Huge Black (the one with the rider doesn't count - try using it in your game without your players asking why the Dragon has someone riding them! :hmm:). If one or both of them are in the next Huge set I will be a very happy man.

Olaf the Stout

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm just glad I have just about all the minis I need for my D&D game. I think I have about 2,000 DDM's so I have most of my bases covered when it comes to monsters.

One thing I really hope to see is the remaining 2 Huge Chromatic Dragons. We still need a Huge Blue and a Huge Black (the one with the rider doesn't count - try using it in your game without your players asking why the Dragon has someone riding them! :hmm:). If one or both of them are in the next Huge set I will be a very happy man.

Olaf the Stout

Agreed on the dragons.

I'm hoping we can see a gargantuan green dragon one day too....

Sammael

Adventurer
Agreed on the dragons.

I'm hoping we can see a gargantuan green dragon one day too....
It'll be a 4E green dragon, though, and I'd greatly prefer a 3E one.

Perhaps the best "edition free" choice for a gargantuan green dragon would be Cyan Bloodbane from Dragonlance.

Remove ads