Thunder Hooves Rage question

On Puget Sound

First Post
here is the power:

Thunder Hooves Rage

You hammer the enemy with a heavy blow, and the spirits of stampeding beasts fill you with strength.

Daily Primal, Rage, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon

Target: One creature

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage.

Miss: Half damage.

Effect: You enter the rage of the thunder hooves. Until the rage ends, you can move through one or two enemies’ spaces during each of your turns. When you move through an enemy’s space, your next attack against that enemy during the same turn deals 1[W] extra damage.

My question is, what if my next attack against that enemy is not a (W)eapon attack? (Assume I do have a weapon in my hand when making the attack). I ran into this while working on a hybrid sorcerarian.

Aulirophile

First Post
here is the power:

My question is, what if my next attack against that enemy is not a (W)eapon attack? (Assume I do have a weapon in my hand when making the attack). I ran into this while working on a hybrid sorcerarian.
Far as I'm aware there is no RAW for your question, the power wasn't written with uses like that in mind. So RAW it just doesn't work if you decide to use a Sorc power, because it says extra [w] damage, there has to be some initial [w] damage. If there isn't, it just fails to work. That would be RAW.

But if you look at powers like Furious Assault (Half-Orc racial) and quite a few others there is a theme of "you add 1[w] or 1d8 if it is not a weapon attack." That is specifically for Furious Assault, but let's see... Academy Master PP all has stuff like this.

Effect: Use one of your arcane at-will attack powers on the target. If you hit, you deal +2[W] damage, or +2 dice of damage if it is a nonweapon attack.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Good question. I'd say it should probably have been worded as "your next weapon attack". See wording on Hammer Formation, Warlord E1 from MP updated on 2/26/09.

Otherwise, breath attacks, numerous genasi attacks, alchemy items and the like might cause problems with it too.

Plulop

First Post
For what it's worth, I'd probably add 1[W] to the damage of your next attack. If you're making the attack through a dagger, add 1d4. If you're using a Fullblade (AIP), add 1d12, and so on. If you're not using a weapliment, then you add no damage.

I don't see that it would be terribly unbalancing for you to do that, since you'd still need to be able to use that weapon as the implement for your power.

Just my two cents.

Remove ads