What materials must a Player have/bring with them at a game session?

What *must* Players have/bring with them at a game session?

• Only themselves, nothing more

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Character sheet

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • Pencil/pen

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • Dice

Votes: 101 72.1%
  • Player's Handbook

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Dungeon Master's Guide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monster Manual

• Campaign book

• Campaign notes

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Supplemental rule book(s)

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Miniature figure(s)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Computer/electronic device

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Drink(s)

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Snack(s)

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Extra paper

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Money

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Whether you are a DM or a Player, what do you consider the basic necessary materials that a Player must have/bring with them at a D&D game session? The bare minimum to be considered properly/politely prepared to play the game.

Bullgrit

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
My players are of the casual variety so they only need to bring themselves and their dice. I have extra pencils and the books and they ask me to keep their character sheets for them.

Technically, I have more than enough dice for to go around, but we're all superstitious about dice. :D

I voted themselves only but there are exceptions.

I have plenty of dice available for use and character sheets, game notes, and other stuff can be left with me so they are only must have's IF the player takes them home.

I usually host which means snacks, beverages,(and the occasional dinner) are provided.

Bluenose

Adventurer
The only things I require are the player, their character sheet, dice, and something to write with/on. If they had something for their character which isn't in one of the books I own, then I expect them to bring that book with them the first time they use it for me to check it. If they're playing at my home then I don't expect them to bring food/drink, but they sometimes do anyway.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I voted: character sheet, pencil/pen (for the character sheet), and dice.

The character sheet is the character the Player is playing -- can't really play the game without it. The pencil/pen -- if you never need to write anything on your character sheet, it must be a very boring game session.

You must have dice to play the game -- either your own dice, or borrowed, you must have some at hand, and securing them is the Player's responsibility.

I almost included the Player's Handbook, but it is quite possible to play the game without the Player ever having to reference the book. I have played a few other RPGs without owning the book. And I have played D&D without ever needing to open my PH at the table. *But*, I always bring my PH with me.

Bullgrit

Talysian

Explorer
Pen/Paper/Dice/Computer/Notes/Cash and or Snacks...

I don't supply the munchies/drinks, and we all play off of laptops so their computer replaces the character sheet.

Obryn

Hero
Only themselves, if I'm keeping their sheets for them. If I'm not, they're expected to bring those, too.

We have tons of dice to go around. Moreso now that I'm using a laptop for most of my dice rolls. I buy a 24-pack of mechanical pencils every year or so, too.

Oh! I do like them to bring snacks, but it's not a requirement. I usually give small XP bonuses for it.

-O

Remove ads