Divine shield + ring of force shield

ValhallaGH

Explorer
SRD said:
... generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free....
It isn't a shield and has no penalties.

That said, I'd allow the feat to work. It's a weak item, one I've never seen used in play, and it's not going to break anything to allow it. However, I would note that this is a table ruling (and probably a house rule), not RAW.

Good luck.

Vegepygmy

First Post
sorry, I agree with parinho7 -- its a small forcefield shaped/sized like a shield and used as such which happens to be generated from a ring (hence its classification). Therefore it should qualify for use with any shield-related feat/spell/etc.
I agree. It has no armor check penalty or chance of arcane spell failure, but it specifically states that it doesn't, which would be completely unnecessary if it were not intended to be treated as a heavy shield.

Plus, you know, it says "...and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC)."

Frankthedm's shield spell argument would only hold water if shield specifically stated that it created "an invisible, tower-sized mobile disk of force that can be wielded by the caster as if it were a tower shield." But it doesn't.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Do you actually take the armor check penalty and everything else that it means to wield a heavy shield, or not? If the ring is more of a hindrance on the user than an animated shield (which DOES work with the feat), then I definitely don't mind it benefitting from Divine Shield. Even if it has no drawback at all other than the cost and ring slot... I still might be ok with it, but the RAW answer would more likely be no in that case.

It says it can be turned off and on as a free action so it has no penalties.
Even if it had 100% spellcasting failure: you turn off ring, cast spell, turn ring back on.

frankthedm

First Post
I agree. It has no armor check penalty or chance of arcane spell failure, but it specifically states that it doesn't, which would be completely unnecessary if it were not intended to be treated as a heavy shield.
So do you feel magic vestments should or should not affect a Force shield ring? And what about enhancing the force shield ring as per the magic item rules?

Last edited:

Vegepygmy

First Post
So do you feel magic vestments should or should not affect a Force shield ring?
Magic vestment should work just fine by my reading.

frankthedm said:
And what about enhancing the force shield ring as per the magic item rules?
How do you mean enhancing? Adding special abilities like bashing or fortification to the ring's shield? I'd be fine with that, too, but remember that the first rule of magic item creation is that the "rules" are actually guidelines, so the cost won't necessarily be the same as it would be to just add those abilities to a +1 heavy shield.

Remove ads