D&D 4E 4E Tomb of Horrors?

mattcolville

Adventurer
I'm trying to figure out if 4E Tomb of Horrors is right for what I want to do. I know there's a thread from last year in another forum, but I didn't want to necro that thread for this question.

I'm looking at Tomb of Horrors 4E for a One Shot, Trap-fest. Specifically, I'm planning on handing out pre-made Assassins and Rogues, all with multi-classness, of 13th - 15th level, and giving them an assignment to rescue a bunch of characters held in what I'm currently imagining is a pyramid. Doesn't *need* to be a pyramid, but it's thematically nice.

They're going to rescue their own captured PCs from a game we put on hold last year. Because this is a One Shot, it's ok if some PCs die to traps. So I thought something like Tomb of Horrors would be perfect.

I'd like the adventure to be one session, but I've learned that if the players are having fun, they certainly don't mind a longer game and one session is only about 3 encounters and I don't think you can really have the experience I'm looking for in three encounters, so more is better. Maybe 6-10, two or three nights.

I know the product ain't out yet, but I also know the developers have been on here talking about it, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Anyone have any guess as to the suitability?

Zaran

Adventurer
I'm sure the Tomb of Horrors would work great for what you are trying to do. Somehow I doubt that the module is going to be as deadly as it's orginal namesake though. That "kill the PCs" mentality of the old days doesn't seem to be around like it was then. Most people have figured out that if the PCs are dying for no good reason other than pulling the wrong lever that it's not fun.

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
Didn't the last PA/PVP podcast have the group+Wil Wheaton going through an updated Tomb of Horrors?

I am not sure. I know he compared the trap his character fell in to that of the Tomb of Horrors. That group did NOT have the experience to tackle something like that. I did gain alot of respect for Wil Wheaton after listening to those podcasts.

Crothian

First Post
You might be able to do something like that but you won't be using the whole module. It is designed to be done over many levels and in different parts. It is not designed as a single advneture that PCs tackle all at once.

It is designed to be done over many levels and in different parts. It is not designed as a single advneture that PCs tackle all at once.

Yep.

Also, keep in mind that--as WotC has said on their site a time or two--the 4E ToH is not a direct conversion of the original. It's kind of like the 2E Return to the ToH, in that it's an adventure (or series of adventures) that tie in to, and are inspired by, the original. It can be used as a direct sequel to either the original or Return, but it doesn't require familiarity with either.

All that said, several of the "chapters" in the book could easily be converted into a one-shot trap-infested dungeon crawl, if you wanted to use them on their own that way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases