For Science. You Monster. (Portal 2)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
This excited me, at first. I watched the trailer 3 times, smiling all the while.

Then I watched one of the game play videos. Uh oh. I'm not so hopeful, now.

There is another "character" in the story: a robot eye-thingy -- it blinks, moves little parts as it talks to show emotion. And apparently GLADOS moves about?

Damn. Part of what made most of the "characters" of the first Portal so . . . interesting, is that they really had no . . . anything. Companion Cube was just an inanimate box. Ratman was never seen or heard or witnessed directly in any way. The sentry units had nothing but a voice. GLADOS was only a disembodied voice, even when you saw her directly -- her individual modules were not animated like the new eyeball-robot character.

I'm fearing the developers are trying to add too much [any] personality to the characters with Portal 2.

It's like, in Portal, you were shown ink blots. In Portal 2, it looks like they're animating them.

I'm still gonna buy Portal 2 when it comes out, (unless reviews are really negative). But watching the game play videos suggest the designers are trying to force personality into the game rather than letting a personality subtly evolve from the player's imagination.

Bullgrit

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The personality spheres are newish; we saw three of them at the end of Portal. But yes, it appears they have a bigger role in P2 (and more "personality"). We'll see.

GlaDOS doesn't seem to move more than she did before; that's her "final" form (sans spheres) which was a bit mobile, though it could not leave the room. Haven't heard of her being able to do that yet.

I'm not as cautious as you, but I understand the hesitation.

Remove ads