Trailblazer clarifications: bardic verbal component

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Under the PHB and Pathfinder, the bard class has a clause that says every bard spell has a verbal component.

It looks like this was removed for Trailblazer. The nearest I could find was, under Ready Spells and Spell Slots; ". . . usually bard spells have a somatic component . . . and a verbal component" (emphasis added).

Am I correct that the TB bard is no longer required to have a verbal component when casting if the spell description doesn't offer one?

GlassJaw

Hero
It looks like this was removed for Trailblazer. The nearest I could find was, under Ready Spells and Spell Slots; ". . . usually bard spells have a somatic component . . . and a verbal component" (emphasis added)

I'm pretty sure that's Wulf's wording but as far as I remember, we didn't intend on making any changes from the SRD.

If you wanted to remove that requirement, I don't think it would be a big deal. Seems like more of a "fluff" rule to me than a balance issue.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I agree, and removing it is minimally simpler in the bookkeeping. Keeping it is all about the flavor.

Got another clarification coming for you on Persuasion . . . another thread!

[Edit: scratch that on Persuasion. I was reading the wild empathy ability and trying to get an understanding of how Persuasion changed from the old Diplomacy. Wild Empathy mentions "starting attitudes", indifferent/unfriendly/hostile, terms right out of the old Diplomacy chart but I couldn't find those referred to in the Persuasion entry. Re-re-re-reading Persuasion and I found it finally. Tiny parenthesis underneath the "Example" column. :erm: I suppose it could have been clearer, but that would have denied me the reward of discovery! *cough* ;)]

Last edited:

Remove ads