RPG Stack Exchange Live And In Beta

mxyzplk

Explorer
I wanted to mention and invite everyone to a new roleplaying expert Q&A site, RPG Stack Exchange.

The Stack Exchange sites are a novel new format that have been rampantly popular in the computer field - Stack Overflow for programmers was the first, and others followed (Super User for users and Server Fault for sysadmins). They've opened it up to other fields, and a proposal for an RPG-based one quickly got enough votes to go into open beta.

SE differs from a normal online forum in that it is for questions and answers only, and the community votes answers (and questions) up and down to determine which are the best. Users with enough "rep" can edit questions and answers, wiki-style. Thus questions can get asked only once, and the answers refined over time (as opposed to in forums, where "it's off the front page, it's like it never happened"). The site then serves as a permanent knowledge base - Google a technical question, and the SE sites are now generally ensconced well at the top. It doesn't compete with forums like this one in terms of being a community and having discussions, but the format makes it way better for organized gathering of knowledge.

It's great for RPG creators/authors/publishers/editors - though pure product promotion in and of itself isn't allowed, you're the kind of experts that people love to get answers from, and you don't have to deal with the signal to noise or get caught in flame wars. RS Conley from Bat in the Attic is already using it to good effect. It's a very efficient use of your time, you can subscribe to tags you want to see, the site can email you about answers. Questions like this one looking for steampunk supplements for d20/D&D3.5/Pathfinder are perfect questions to answer with links to your products.

Anyway, just wanted to encourage people to come check out the site, I think you might like it! (It's free, and you don't even have to register unless you want to gain rep.) So far the game coverage has been very wide, from loads of D&D 4e to OSR stuff to GUMSHOE to Mouse Guard.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I like the core idea - ask a question, get answers, and users vote on the best answers. But honestly, the fact that people can come in later and edit not only other people's answers but other people's original questions weakens its value immensely for me. And even the idea of voting on 'what the best answer is' reduces 'what is truth' to a popularity contest. Admittedly that last concern is more of an academic one since this deals with RPGs and not something of more import like politics or science, but when you consider things like "edition wars" that some people seem to take so seriously, it could become a similar problem (albeit a problem of no real significance in the real world).

Last edited:

mxyzplk

Explorer
Well, it's not an untested idea by any stretch of the imagination - Stack Overflow etc. have become preeminent sites for technical topics in a very short amount of time. I think it can work for RPGs as well. The sites strictly disallow purely subjective Q&A, so a question on "which is better 3e or 4e" will be closed in minutes.

And some people aren't comfortable with the "people can edit my questions/answers". That's fine, but I think more and more people are getting comfortable with it in the collaborative-intelligence, wiki age. Again, it's the different goal of the site - it's not for person X to spout their opinion or say how smart they are, it's about getting quality answers to good questions and gathering knowledge.

As for the voting determining truth - democracy is the worst system in the world, except for all the other ones.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
As for the voting determining truth - democracy is the worst system in the world, except for all the other ones.

Point taken, but I don't want to vote for A and later have someone swap A out with B. B-)

Remember, even Wikipedia, the first major wiki project, had to start going back to the old process of editorial control and review when certain individuals began editing entries to reflect their own agendas or to just outright post false statements about subjects.

But again, this is intended as a resource for RPGs, not politics, history or science.

Anyhow, yeah, it may not be for me and others, but good luck with the project anyway! B-)

Remove ads