Rules Missing from the Rules Compendium

Truename

First Post
I've now read the Rules Compendium from cover to cover and I was impressed by how comprehensive it is. It really has all of the rules of the game, including definitions of class-specific things like the monk's Full Discipline keyword. It's not a simplified version of the 4e rules at all; it has rules for flight, aquatic combat, and so forth. This is the errata'd rulebook you've been looking for.

In fact, the Rules Compendium is so comprehensive, I thought that what they chose to leave out was most interesting. I think it might give us some insight into how their design philosophies have changed, especially now that Mike Mearls is at the helm. So here's what I noticed that was missing and some speculation on what it might mean.

Please, don't threadcrap. I don't want to hear about 4.5e or what you dislike about the essentials line. Take it to another thread. This thread is for analysis and discussion of changes in the D&D design philosophy, not gripes about WotC.

1. Rituals

Rituals are mentioned in passing a few times in the Rules Compendium, but there are no rules for rituals, scrolls, or ritual components. The only significant mention is in a sidebar on page 134, in the Arcana skill entry, and it doesn't provide any actual rules.

Speculation: Rituals are neat and flavorful, but I've seen a lot of complaints about cost and casting time. From what I've heard, they really only become useful in Paragon tier and above. I think WotC has listened to those complaints, and I think we'll see rituals sidelined in favor of more non-combat powers like the Mage's Instant Friends and the WarPriest's Resurrection.

The Executioner Assassin just released shows a particularly interesting take on this design direction: the Executioner's poisons have a combat effect, but they also have interesting and flavorful non-combat uses.

2. Masterwork Armor, Superior Weapons, and Double Weapons

Specific items aren't mentioned in the Rules Compendium, but it does describe how to read the columns in the armor table. The masterwork armor bonuses aren't there. Masterwork armor is mentioned under the "Magic Armor" category, but only to say that it exists. Similarly, superior weapons aren't mentioned at all. Neither are double weapons, and the Stout keyword is left out of the list of weapon keywords.

Speculation: Magic items are another common complaint about 4e. They're said to be flavorless and lack the "sense of wonder" of previous editions. I suspect all except Common magic items are going to be moved out of player books and back into the DM's hands. Perhaps WotC is doing the same thing with masterwork armor and superior weapons. "You find a dusty suit of scale armor tucked behind the secret door. As you dust it off, you sense the tang of magic, and you notice that the suit isn't made of steel, but dragon scales!"

I also suspect that some of the rules for these things will be moved into the item stat blocks, which corresponds to Essentials' general trend of consolidating information and repeating itself for the sake of clarity, as when each Essentials class repeats the level 4 stat boost rule.

3. Delaying Traps

The rules for delaying traps are completely missing from the Thievery skill.

Speculation: This seems like simplification and clean-up.

4. Starting Wealth Above Level 1

The book describes that you get 100 gp at level 1, but says nothing about what you should get if you start at a higher level.

Speculation: I don't understand why this rule is missing. Perhaps the new magic item rarity has changed the situation and they haven't decided on how to change the starting wealth guidelines. Perhaps this is another example of moving magic items out of player's hands and back into the DM's.

What else?

What have you noticed missing from the Rules Compendium?

Tony Vargas

Legend
4. Starting Wealth Above Level 1

The book describes that you get 100 gp at level 1, but says nothing about what you should get if you start at a higher level.

Speculation: I don't understand why this rule is missing. Perhaps the new magic item rarity has changed the situation and they haven't decided on how to change the starting wealth guidelines. Perhaps this is another example of moving magic items out of player's hands and back into the DM's.
The randomization and rarity rules make letting PCs pick items problematic. Items are no longer balanced by their price/level, but by their rarity, so letting PCs pick items when starting at higher level would be imbalancing, since they could pick ideal/imbalanced rare/uncommon items. Conversely, denying them rare or uncommon items when starting at higher level would have the opposite result, leaving the new character weaker than expected for his level. This was also a problem in 3.x - as was the phenomenon of a character dying, his buddies stripping him of his items, then a new character being brought in with his own set of items. As you say, some decision has to be made, and it may not have been made by the time the RC went to the printers.

hopeless

Adventurer
So...

The rules compendium is more a players book including all character generation details from phb 1,2 & 3?

The only bits left out might be for a dm's version of the rules compendium?

I assume thats what you mean?

Hazard_53188

Explorer
I don't have the book in front of me but as I recall that is a faulty assumption. I believe it's a useful book for players and DMs. I was pretty impressed with it myself.

samursus

Explorer
The randomization and rarity rules make letting PCs pick items problematic. Items are no longer balanced by their price/level, but by their rarity, so letting PCs pick items when starting at higher level would be imbalancing, since they could pick ideal/imbalanced rare/uncommon items. Conversely, denying them rare or uncommon items when starting at higher level would have the opposite result, leaving the new character weaker than expected for his level. This was also a problem in 3.x - as was the phenomenon of a character dying, his buddies stripping him of his items, then a new character being brought in with his own set of items. As you say, some decision has to be made, and it may not have been made by the time the RC went to the printers.

I also think Wizards may take this opportunity to revamp the "economy" of the game. Since only common items will be purchasable/creatable by default, they may decide to do away with the million gp shopping trips at epic levels.

Basically redo the treasure amounts to a less fantastic level. I mean, if you are not buying/creating magic items...what is the point of having gold? Hopefully they will introduce other things to do with treasure (strongholds, boons). Hmm actually this makes for an interesting side topic that I won't go into here.

Scribble

First Post
In fact, the Rules Compendium is so comprehensive, I thought that what they chose to leave out was most interesting. I think it might give us some insight into how their design philosophies have changed, especially now that Mike Mearls is at the helm. So here's what I noticed that was missing and some speculation on what it might mean.

I don't know if I'd read that much into it. Some of it, yeah might be a bit of a cleanup, but for the most part:

Essentials is the new "entry point" into D&D, and I think a lot of those missing elements aren't there because it's not "essential" for them to be there.

You can play D&D just fine without those missing elements.

You can play D&D without ever multi-classing for instance. Once you learn about how the game works, and how classes work, you get into the more advanced areas that Essentials doesn't cover.

I'm thinking starting at higher levels might be in the DM's book... Not sure though, but it does seem like something they would stash there. IE if you want to start your campaign at higher levels here's some suggested starting wealths... blah blah.

I don't know if I'd read that much into it. Some of it, yeah might be a bit of a cleanup, but for the most part:

Essentials is the new "entry point" into D&D, and I think a lot of those missing elements aren't there because it's not "essential" for them to be there.

You can play D&D just fine without those missing elements.

You can play D&D without ever multi-classing for instance. Once you learn about how the game works, and how classes work, you get into the more advanced areas that Essentials doesn't cover.

I'm thinking starting at higher levels might be in the DM's book... Not sure though, but it does seem like something they would stash there. IE if you want to start your campaign at higher levels here's some suggested starting wealths... blah blah.

Hard to say, but then lets think about rituals not really being there. The Full Discipline keyword is presented, which is only useful for Monks, a class that as far as we know does not exist in Essentials and since Essentials is complete with the products we see now it is effectively guaranteed there will be no more Essentials classes, so why is that item there? Perhaps there IS a class in HotFK that uses it, I don't know, but now contrast that with rituals, which as a player resource have been written out of the game effectively. Even if I walk into a game that is being played under Essentials rules and whip out my PHB1 Wizard the DM has NO rule for rituals. If I were to walk in with a Monk the rule exists for THAT. Obviously that won't stop people from mixing and matching stuff, but it kind of says to me that certain aspects of the game have been WRITTEN OUT, not just "this isn't essential" but "We aren't doing this anymore going forward". Other stuff is provided for in follow on products, like having a Monk.

Honestly I don't disagree with you entirely that this should be given too much significance. It could be they just felt like it was pointless to include general rules for rituals when none are presented. Full Discipline OTOH is a paragraph of text and may have just been left in on the theory that "we might as well provide all the keywords anyone might ever see". Who really knows?

Scribble

First Post
Hard to say, but then lets think about rituals not really being there. The Full Discipline keyword is presented, which is only useful for Monks, a class that as far as we know does not exist in Essentials and since Essentials is complete with the products we see now it is effectively guaranteed there will be no more Essentials classes, so why is that item there? Perhaps there IS a class in HotFK that uses it, I don't know, but now contrast that with rituals, which as a player resource have been written out of the game effectively. Even if I walk into a game that is being played under Essentials rules and whip out my PHB1 Wizard the DM has NO rule for rituals. If I were to walk in with a Monk the rule exists for THAT. Obviously that won't stop people from mixing and matching stuff, but it kind of says to me that certain aspects of the game have been WRITTEN OUT, not just "this isn't essential" but "We aren't doing this anymore going forward". Other stuff is provided for in follow on products, like having a Monk.

Honestly I don't disagree with you entirely that this should be given too much significance. It could be they just felt like it was pointless to include general rules for rituals when none are presented. Full Discipline OTOH is a paragraph of text and may have just been left in on the theory that "we might as well provide all the keywords anyone might ever see". Who really knows?

I'm kind of leaning towards your last bit.

I mean they talk about rituals existing, but since no one uses any, and you don't NEED them to play in the game, then they didn't need to be included.

Just like the rest of the game, if someone walks in with a class that has rituals, they have the rules for it, and it can be added in no harm no foul.

I think it's kind of the same thing for the key words. Put them in because monsters might use them, even if the players don't, but at the same time it's not trying to say these things can't be used with essentials. They just don't need to really go into detail because they don't NEED to be used.

If that makes sense?

cdrcjsn

First Post

Well, the rule in the core books was that you can get any mundane item you want if you're starting at a higher level, subject to DM approval.

Truename

First Post

That's the thing, though. Everything else is in there. I was expecting Rules Compendium to be a stripped-down version of the rules for players only, but it's not. As far as I can tell, those four things I listed are the only things missing. I've probably missed a few others, but the Rules Compendium is very complete.

Also, the book is for DMs as well as players. It contains a fairly meaty section on improv for the DM, as well as the rules for traps, hazards, and overland travel. When it talks about powers, it talks about monster stat blocks as well as PC power blocks. And so forth.

Remove ads