Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
I will agree to all of that.

Updating Pilot Juggernaut Spell Working Draft.

Updating Activating A Guardian Juggernaut Working Draft.

Are we keeping the Material Component requirement?

How much should the mask focus cost?

I've added a Juggernaut Domain placeholder to the Activation Working Draft.

Did we want to add other construct types to the table or just a note that require CL is up to DM judgement?

I'm more inclined to have the note say additional construct types are at the DM's discretion but give a rule-of-thumb for suggested CL. The posted examples suggest a rule of "double Challenge Rating and then subtract three" which would indicate a standard Clay Golem (CR 10) would require a CL 17th to pilot which seems in about the right ballpark.

That would mean a Shield Guardian (CR 8) needs CL 13, which seems a tad low - especially as the construction requirement is CL 15th.

How about:

At the DM's discretion, pilot juggernaut can be used to pilot other constructs. The caster level required to pilot a construct is normally either the construct's construction CL or the result of doubling the construct's Challenge Rating and subtracting three, whichever is higher. For example, a clay golem (CL 11th, CR 10) requires a caster level 17th pilot juggernaut (twice its CR 10 minus 3) while a shield guardian (CL 15th, CR 8) requires a caster level 15th pilot juggernaut (its CL). If the construct has some unusual traits that make it more or less effective as a piloted juggernaut the DM may want to increase or lower the required CL to compensate for its change in effectiveness.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I'd just keep the focus and ditch the material component. But we can make the focus relatively pricey (of course, the construct itself is the really expensive part). Like 1000 gp?

That note works fine for me.

What else do we need on these?

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd just keep the focus and ditch the material component. But we can make the focus relatively pricey (of course, the construct itself is the really expensive part). Like 1000 gp?

That note works fine for me.

I'll accept that.

Updating Pilot Juggernaut Spell Working Draft.

What else do we need on these?

I guess that's the pilot juggernaut spell done.

Now we just need the Domain, magic items and sample creatures.

Oh, and the description & background.

Gods, have we really been working on this conversion for four years!

Cleon

Legend
Now we just need the Domain, magic items and sample creatures.

To move things on a bit, how's this for the Domain:

Juggernaut Domain
Granted Power: ?

Juggernaut Domain Spells:
1. Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
2. Wood Shape: Rearranges wooden objects to suit you.
3. Stone Shape: Sculpts stone into any shape.
4. Create Guardian: Temporarily transforms a totem into a guardian juggernaut.
5. Stoneskinᴹ: Ignore 10 points of damage per attack.
6. Animate Objects: Objects attack your foes.
7. Pilot Juggernaut: Temporarily transforms a construct into a guardian juggernaut.
8. Iron Body: Your body becomes living iron.
9. Crushing Hand: Large hand provides cover, pushes, or crushes your foes.

I'm not quite sure about the granted power. I thought about something like the Artifice Domain's "Gain +4 bonus on Craft checks. The character casts conjuration (creation) spells at +1 caster level. (Those with access to both the Artifice and Creation domains cast conjuration [creation] spells at +3 caster level.)" but that the CL bonus would have to be on Transmutation which didn't seem right.

Maybe give them a bonus on Craft checks AND give them bonus SPs they can only spend on Craft skills?

Granted Power: Gain +4 bonus on Craft checks. In addition, you gain bonus skill points equal to twice your cleric level that you can only spend on Craft skills.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I will take credit/blame for delays on conversions. I just have less free time than I used to, say 8 years ago.

I like the spells for the domain. And the granted power, though maybe we should specify "(2 new bonus skill points with each new cleric level)."

At this point, I could possibly forgo additional magic items --- we were thinking about items that create juggernauts out of constructs or totems, right?

Cleon

Legend
Well, I will take credit/blame for delays on conversions. I just have less free time than I used to, say 8 years ago.

I like the spells for the domain. And the granted power, though maybe we should specify "(2 new bonus skill points with each new cleric level)."

The "new" is superfluous.

How about "In addition, for each cleric level you gain you are granted 2 bonus skill points that you can only spend on Craft skills."

Updating Activating A Guardian Juggernaut Working Draft.

At this point, I could possibly forgo additional magic items --- we were thinking about items that create juggernauts out of constructs or totems, right?

The ones I were thinking of were fairly straightforward. How about I write them up and then see what changes you think they need?

Cleon

Legend
I haven't forgotten you! Hopefully I'll scrape together enough time to finish the juggernaut magic items today. I've got about 30% of it done so far.

Cleon

Legend
I haven't forgotten you! Hopefully I'll scrape together enough time to finish the juggernaut magic items today. I've got about 30% of it done so far.

Well I spent a lot longer enjoying myself on Sunday than I planned to I only got roughly 50% of the juggernaut magic items done. It also proved a bit fiddlier than I was expecting since I kept on thinking of tweaks & changes.

Still, I've only got the "saddle" and "crown" items to write up now.

Remove ads