Why do you have a colossal...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...RPG collection?

Inspired by http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/297065-how-big-your-rpg-collection.html

I have mine for 3 reasons:

1. If I'm playing a game for any length of time, I like to have access to the books so I can explore mechanical and RP potential within the game at my leisure.
  2. I've been blesed to have a bit more disposable income than most of my gaming buddies, so I'll buy duplicates of books that I expect to see heavy use- PHBs for D&D; the HERO core rulebook, etc.- to make sure there are enough copies at the table.
  3. Some games are just worth buying, just in case...

What about you?

Last edited:

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Like the OP, it's a combination of things, but mainly it's because I've been playing for almost 30 years and I've never sold or thrown out any gaming stuff. It adds up :). My purchasing habits are pretty much nonexistent now, though. Doubt it will double in another 30 years, lol. God, I hope not!

Samurai

Adventurer
I have a Colossal collection because:

1. I love reading games, thinking about their settings and rules, creating adventures, characters, alternate rules, mining them for ideas in games I am playing, etc.

2. I've been collecting and playing RPGs for 31 years now and I can count on 1 hand the number of books I've ever sold or traded away... the collection just continues to grow and grow! It's hard for me to part with any of my books unless I'm absolutely positively 100% sure I will never want to look at it again. Which doesn't happen all that often.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
I like reading the settings and comparing systems.

But, in my old age it's getting to the point where I don't want to learn any more new systems.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My husband and I met, 31 years ago, at a game shop. I had already been a gamer for 3 years at that point.

I'm a librarian, and he's a packrat.

We have 2 large bookcases full, and numerous plastic tubs in the attic. I have NO idea if we're truly "collossal" scale gamers, but we must be close.

Treebore

First Post
Because I have been gaming for over 25 years, and I have played a lot of RPG's that I liked enough to want to have the rule books and modules for. I have maybe 4 or 5 RPG's on my shelves I have not played, but I wish too.

fba827

Adventurer
Why do you have a colossal...
...RPG collection?
(snip)

'Cause chicks dig it.

[sblock]
but, more seriously, my collection doesn't count as colossal (size doesn't matter, right? :) ). over the course of a couple moves, it got trimmed back a few times. now it's just maybe a shelf's worth. but if i never had to trim back, it'd probably be able to line a small room with gaming books by now. all mainly because i enjoy reading it as a past-time even if i'm not playing. and given that it is one of the few hobbies i have and otherwise am not a big spender it is an easy outlet for me that i enjoy, resulting in a would-be large collection.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

weem

First Post
I wouldn't say mine is colossal, but it is substantial.

I have D&D books from all editions (most of my collection is 2nd Edition though) as well as various other RPG's. With that said, much of it has not been used since it was new, and may not be again, but what it provides for me is pure inspiration. I can pick up the Rules Encyclopedia (my favorite D&D book of them all) and be immediately inspired, and ready to run a game - regardless of where I was at in my head before picking it up.

I've never let a book go (sold or otherwise) and I don't intend to - they are like portals for me - they take me back to those amazing experiences as if I am reliving them again. Gotta love it ;)

Stormonu

Legend
My first few years of playing D&D were seriously underfunded (for the longest time, I had only the Moldvay basic book, and later acquired the 1e PHB & DMG (no MM).

So when I started getting some disposable income, I started accumulating what I could. Got addicted and decided if I could, I'd see if I could get a copy of everything.

I also wanted to go to work for TSR, and I figured having "one of everything" would help in landing such a job (especially if I was intimately familiar with the products).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases